Possible turbo available

1994IDI

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a factory ATS turbo? There is a guy here close with the turbo and everthing needed including exhuast, hoses, and lines, with intake hat. He says there is normal end-to-end play, but no side-to-side, although I have not seen it in person yet. I think I can get it for $550, but it is about an hour and a half from me. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the factory ATS compaired to the Banks Sidewinder? There is a guy in Kansas city who is selling a more or less complete banks kit for 500, that might need a rebuilt. Im thinking i could get that off of him for 400ish or a little less.

I know banks support sucks, and you can still get the turbo kits from ATS. That would give me a reason to stop by on the drive home haha.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know banks support sucks, and you can still get the turbo kits from ATS. That would give me a reason to stop by on the drive home haha.

What you typed ^

What you meant to say.... v

I know ATS support sucks, because they are douches that care less about customer care, and function of product, and more about the level of green in the bank, but unfortunately you can still get the turbo kits from ATS. So that would give me a reason to stop by on the drive home haha.

I have heard that from many, and when mine (ATS wastegated) dies, I will head down a different path.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA, that made my day... Honestly i would prefer a Hypermax turbo kit, but no one is selling one of those. Between the two, would the banks be the lesser of the two evils?

Last edited:

1994IDI

Reaction score
I may be, where are you? Any idea what all that would weigh for shipping?

I honestly don't know what it would weigh to ship. I am about 6 hours drive from you. But I am frequently in Evansville, IN which would be less that 4 hours for you, if you wanted to meet me. Let me know.

1994IDI

Reaction score
How is the factory ATS compaired to the Banks Sidewinder? There is a guy in Kansas city who is selling a more or less complete banks kit for 500, that might need a rebuilt. Im thinking i could get that off of him for 400ish or a little less.

Hey Chris, I don't have any experience with the sidewinder. Hopefully, someone will chime in with some good experience on it so you can see which would better suit you. When are you headed back this way?

1994IDI

Reaction score
Maybe that is high? I thought it seemed like a good deal since it has everything needed, plus an intake hat.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that $550 for a complete factory turbo setup in decent shape is a pretty good deal! They generally go for more like $800 to $1000...so, at that price, I would jump on it!!

As to ATS....from what I've heard, Banks really isn't any better, although I've never dealt directly with them. It seems like the best company out there's Hypermax, but even their Pulse turbo isn't wastegated....so, if you want a wastegated turbo, it seems to me that you have to pick your poison :(

BTW, as far as parts availability goes, are any turbo-specific parts for the factory turbo (seals, etc) still available from Ford?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone seriously interested or should I let it go?
I'd be all over it if I hadn't just bought one. IMHO you should grab it. I'm surprised that no one's jumping on it now...I'm 99% certain that someone will grab it sooner or later. If all else fails, throw it on Craigslist for $700 or $800 (assuming it's complete)...SOMEONE will take it.