Possible truck build??????

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I destroyed the suspension and steering on my sig truck a couple of weeks ago when I hit 2 deer at ~60mph. Insurance company is most likely going to total my truck. I have a question about a possible new build to replace my truck.

1. I have a 1996 ECLB F250 4x4 truck that has no engine or trans. Swap the crew cab off of my sig truck on to this frame, install engine/trans/tcase from my truck, swap D60 to F250 and install a short bed. Basically a 1993 CCSB 4x4.

2. I have a friend with a 1997 CCSB F250 2wd PSD truck for sale. Convert this truck to 4x4 with D60 and trans and t-case from my sig truck.

Having never done a cab swap before the 2nd option looks easier on paper but I really don't want a PSD. The axle swap from F350 to F250 is pretty straight forward. How hard is the cab swap?
How hard is converting a 2wd truck to 4x4 if you have all of the necessary parts?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 could have issues with EMISSION laws and so forth swapping in an OLDER engine into a newer truck but I don't know your local laws

2 would be arguably more complex and easier to keep the PS engine with the cab too. Also a conversion to 4wd would be more difficult too.

JM2CW

Al

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
In #1, you are turning the donor truck (96) into your sig truck by installing the cab, correct? Then no problems with emissions, as it is becoming itself again with newer framerails. I believe it can be done, but because of the length of the cab, you may have to do one of two things: (1) notch the bottom of the cab and fabricate new sheet metal to get over the step in the frame, or (2) raise the cab the amount of the step in order to keep it from tipping. Then you have to raise the bed to match. Hefty amount of work either way.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In #1, you are turning the donor truck (96) into your sig truck by installing the cab, correct? Then no problems with emissions, as it is becoming itself again with newer framerails. I believe it can be done, but because of the length of the cab, you may have to do one of two things: (1) notch the bottom of the cab and fabricate new sheet metal to get over the step in the frame, or (2) raise the cab the amount of the step in order to keep it from tipping. Then you have to raise the bed to match. Hefty amount of work either way.
I know body lifts are often frowned upon, but would that not take care of that issue?

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not buy your original truck back from the insurance company and use what you need from the '96 to fix it? If you're planning to swap the front end out of your sig truck you're going to have to fix all the suspension and steering either way...