Possible T19 to ZF5 swap...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a ZF 5 4X4 not sure if its a 420 or 470 for about 750$ guaranteed to work but is used. Diesels are rare in the junkyards around here, let alone a 5-speed Ford. T19 still works but is rough and since it looks like I will be rebuilding the spare 6.9 soon, why not upgrade to an OD trans :sly

For the swap, is it just a bolt in replacement of the T19 or will I need some parts? IE driveshaft, transfer case and driveshaft, shifter, shifter floor pan?

I've read that the trans crossmember needs to be moved back too. From what I've read I should be able to bolt it in minus the crossmember needing relocation.

Thanks

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few parts you'll need, but only a few. The transfer case will bolt right in and the transmissions are the same length, so you can reuse your driveshafts. I replaced my crossmember, but I was on a short timeframe and didn't have time to risk not being able to reuse the T-19 crossmember. I don't know if you can or not. You will want the shifter floor pan out of a ZF truck; you might be able to use one out of a slushbox truck but I don't know for sure. Here are a few pics comparing the T-19 and ZF floor pans.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Beyond that, and obviously the clutch, it should bolt right in ;Sweet I still contend that the ZF swap was the best thing I've done to my truck...

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. The splines are different on the zf. There has been some talk on here of late that you can reuse the t-19 flywheel if you buy a clutch disk for an 87, but I can't confirm this. When I did mine I bought the whole SMF clutch and flywheel kit from ebay.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's 2 versions of ZF5 floor pans. I believe both versions are shown above. The difference is the location of the transfer case shifter. I used the floor pan and shifter out of a 89, where the shifter comes through an extra hole in the floor just to the left of the floor pan, so my truck has the one shown at the bottom of the first picture - the version with just the hole for the trans shifter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of doing this now... going from a C-6 to a ZF-5 in the Moosestang. You can use a C-6 crossmember with the ZF-5. You will need the 7.3 Flywheel (DMF or equivalent), clutch disc and presure plate, TOB and pilot bearing to go with your transmission. The 6.9 and 7.3 flywheels are a different thickness and I believe the input shafts are a different diameter. I'd be surprised if you could make a 6.9 flywheel work. ALL the IDI transmission options are the same length. Ford was genious when they pointed at the back of the transmission and said "it shall land HERE on the chassis, and all that is good will go rearward, and all that is good will go foreward. But this spot shall not move." This is why a 302's engine mounts are not on the cross member, but rather behind it. The engine was too short. They could have moved everything forward, but then they would loose standardization across all wheelbases for any engine choice. This is why driveshafts interchange so brilliantly. Even the Bronco and F-150 which never were expected to have an IDI in them, use the same driveshafts they used with their gas engine counterparts.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarifications, ill see what all I can get to come with it. If I dont get the fly/clutch ill just buy those new.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's 2 versions of ZF5 floor pans. I believe both versions are shown above. The difference is the location of the transfer case shifter. I used the floor pan and shifter out of a 89, where the shifter comes through an extra hole in the floor just to the left of the floor pan, so my truck has the one shown at the bottom of the first picture - the version with just the hole for the trans shifter.
You may be correct about there being two ZF5 floor pans, but the one on top in my picture is NOT for a ZF5. That's the original floor pan that was on my T-19...I simply set it there so you could see the difference. The second pic shows the T-19 floor pan on the ZF...and, you can see that there's almost an inch of space between the floor pan and the body....with the pan in contact with the ZF. It might be physically possible to beat on the T-19 floor pan to get it to bolt in place on top of the ZF, but IMHO that would end up looking hacked and would almost certainly be risking the pan being in constant contact with the top of the transmission, with the resulting vibration and metal damage.

AFAIK all factory ZF trucks had the 13-56 transfer case, which used a shifter assembly that goes through the floor below the floor pan, as you described...since I reused my 13-45 and shifter linkage, I cut a hole in my ZF floor pan.

FWIW...and, re: clutches and input shafts, I know that some people have been able to use a T-19 clutch assembly with a different disc (the splines and input shaft on the ZF are definitely different; I wanted to use a greasable T-19 throwout bearing and couldn't because it wouldn't fit), but for the same of easy parts availability, I would vote for using a clutch meant for the ZF. I have a Luk SMF setup and a Kevlar pilot bushing in my truck and am as happy as a clam ;Sweet

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense about the floor pans. I kept my 1345 as well, but used the shifter off of the 1356, modified the linkage, and hacked a new hole in the floor. I pretty much just made work what I already had.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info - I've got a ZF I've got to swap over after I get the bellhousing welded up (I paid $27 for the transmission, so I can't go wrong)

For the clutch kit, are you guys just getting everything for a ZF equipped truck? Flywheel, PP, TOB, etc etc.

Last edited:

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
That price sounds high... I bought my parts truck complete and running for $750. The body is shot, but all mechanicals are there and working. If you are patient and watch local auctions and craigslist you should be able to get everthing you need for less than $750.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the clutch kit, are you guys just getting everything for a ZF equipped truck? Flywheel, PP, TOB, etc etc.
Pretty much...again, I would recommend a single-mass flywheel clutch kit over a dual-mass, but just buy a complete clutch kit for a ZF truck and it should all bolt in 'Sweet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That price sounds high... I bought my parts truck complete and running for $750. The body is shot, but all mechanicals are there and working. If you are patient and watch local auctions and craigslist you should be able to get everthing you need for less than $750.
It is a bit high but its for shipping. Everywhere else was well into 4-figures except one place that was 550 plus 250 shipping... Around here vehicles don't rot unless at the beach.

ZF 5s have all been 2x4, and truck prices are way high here too. Example: http://salem.craigslist.org/ctd/2865071411.html