Possible cracked head

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Out here in Ca. Well, i somehow ran my 94 7.3 turbo IDI about 2 gallons low on coolant by the time i realized it and it got hot. No oil in coolant and no coolant in oil, no radiator leak and the thermostat got stuck so the temp gauge stayed on the cold side. Thermostat replaced and added new coolant but it keeps disappearing.
I think there is head or gasket damage. What should i expect to pay if the heads need resurfacing or if cracked ? And is there anything i should have done while its apart ? Like porting or upgrading head studs ?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Head studs are a good choice. I mean, they're all already out. Lol
You could throw in a cam.
It's not "how fast do you wanna go?" It's "how much money do you want to spend?"
I would remove the glowplugs and pressurize the cooling system. See where it's going.
Could just be going out the water pump.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is it loosing? Really most 7.3 idi heads I come across are cracked because of the blocked coolant passages from the factory. If yours is cracked so badly it’s burning a lot of coolant well I’d just find another set of heads, it will be cheaper in the long run

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Well i live in the mountains by Yosemite Natl Parkso a 60 mile drive to the valley and back and that burns about one gallon

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
No only the stock one. I really like to take care of my rigs..... was thinking about getting an Edge is that a good choice for monitoring the trucks vitals ?
Ine screen as opposed to a post gauge pod of 4-5 gauges

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the edge it works really well with the idi computer.... wait... no computer...

Haha just get a good mechanical temp gauge, isspro and auto meter are the best.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
hahaha thewespaul !
You got me .... sorry i got my 94 IDI mixed up with my 2002 Powerstroke lol.
Good call sidewinded !
Did you have any other symptoms Sidewinded ?
No leaking out ?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some quick and easy checks first... before you start [cold engine] reach to the bottom of the water pump shaft housing, with your finger. There is a weep hole there that vents any coolant that leaks past the shaft seal. It is kind of hidden by the belt pulley, you can sort of see it from the bottom side looking up.. but you can find it with your finger.. if your finger comes back with coolant on it.. your water pump seal is leaking... you "should" see a track of coolant down the front of engine case with as much coolant as you are losing.

Next, start the engine, warm it up a little, take off the radiator cap and look for bubbles or surging of the coolant... if you have any of either one, you have a blown head gasket, or a head crack... compression pressure is much higher than coolant pressure, so it will push combustion gases into the coolant. Either way, heads have to come off... if it's the head gasket... check the heads for cracks anyway.

Next, crawl under the engine and look for leaks of coolant at the freeze plugs, or around the oil cooler.

OH... and once it's fixed.. put a mechanical temp gage on the engine, mount it where you can see it...

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha thewespaul !
You got me .... sorry i got my 94 IDI mixed up with my 2002 Powerstroke lol.
Good call sidewinded !
Did you have any other symptoms Sidewinded ?
No leaking out ?

No other symptoms. But it would come and go. Sometimes it would leak so bad I would get a half gallon out my oil pan other times it wouldn’t at all. What solved a lot of issues for me was removing the 13psi radiator cap and going to a 7lb cap. I have a bunch of new ones if you want one to try on me. But I would fill up my overflow bottle almost every other day

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
See my overflow bottle is bone dry.... should i fill that too ?
And i will try changing the radiator cap also.... anything but cracked head or gasket !!’n
Pleeeeassaase !!! No !
Oh, and i just would like to take the time to say THANK YOU with all sincerity to those of you who dedicate your time and knowledge and helping me on this forum for the IDI and the Powerstroke Forum.
I am on here a lot because i am not a mechanic but i am learning. With a 94 turbo IDI with the K vin and a 2002 Powerstroke i have almost the first and the ladt of the highly regarded 7.3 s the okd guard has 306,796 miles on her.
Thanks to all that make this site work and have literally replied to me as i was wirking on the truck not knowing what the heLL I was doing...
To heLL with happy holidays,
I say Merry Christmas to all of you and God Bless.
Sincerely,
Roberto george Moreno
AKA
Bobby George Moreno !!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Porting is almost free horsepower unless you have to pay someone to do it for you. You may look into doing the cooling mod which involves knocking out the plugs to open the closed coolant passages and using 6.9 head gaskets. If you're going to have the heads off, then now would be the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online