Pondering a turbo

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Muffler? What's that? Isn't that the thing that these trucks come with stock to REALLY choke down the exhaust flow?

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I had a 4" Magnaflow straight through muffler installed until very recently. It sounded great before I turbo'd, so I left it alone post-boost as well. I took it off to tweak the tailpipe setup a bit the other day and HOLY COW does it sound soooo much better without it! The exhaust burble isn't very loud, but the turbo sure does sing with just a straight pipe :)
I've got nothing against the Magnaflow muffler, but it likely isn't going back on the truck. Lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 inch Is good, straight through muffler is your choice with typ4 modded stock turbo sound is amazing! Mostly just whistling all day long. You will meed like a 30 degree bend to connect to the rest of the exhaust from the downpipe(just did this instal) I actually have a stainless braided oil line on mine too because my last turbo had it on it. If you have questions about the instal I can likely help. You can defiantly turn up the pump if you have gauges. My 90cc pump and stage 1's clean up very well with this turbo set up

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 inch Is good, straight through muffler is your choice with typ4 modded stock turbo sound is amazing! Mostly just whistling all day long. You will meed like a 30 degree bend to connect to the rest of the exhaust from the downpipe(just did this instal) I actually have a stainless braided oil line on mine too because my last turbo had it on it. If you have questions about the instal I can likely help. You can defiantly turn up the pump if you have gauges. My 90cc pump and stage 1's clean up very well with this turbo set up

Thanks!
Did you use a kit or fabricate it yourself?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a truck in our fleet with an ats 093 setup which has a 3 inch banks exhaust kit, I removed the muffler this past weekend and it is as loud as you would think it would be with a muffler. It's quiet!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. That Walker is a 3.5" in and out. I had thought that the general consensus was that a 4" system was preferred. Am I wrong? Educate me please.

Going over 3.5" with one of the big 3 turbo kits won't gain anything.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a truck in our fleet with an ats 093 setup which has a 3 inch banks exhaust kit, I removed the muffler this past weekend and it is as loud as you would think it would be with a muffler. It's quiet!

I've played with a few turbo gas engine cars and while the turbo sure takes a lot of sound and sharpness out, they've always been substantially quieter with a big free flowing muffler. My wife and I spend a lot of time pulling our house trailer around and my hearing is not so fantastic. One of my goals is to have the exhaust as quiet as possible with out hurting performance.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a very slight gain with 4 inch over 3 inch straight exhaust. Not very much but it did seem to do some. I used a full factory kit besides having to route my CD-R into the valve cover without the factory turbo cover with mount on it

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm what about EGTs? Do you feel that there wouldn't be a measurable difference between a 3.5 and 4".

"A different exhaust system is also needed to make the conversion, and it is available from Banks. The new system bolts on via the original hangers, so no welding or modifications are necessary. A custom, 14-gauge crossover pipe bolts to the inlet on the turbocharger manifold and to the stock exhaust manifold on the driver's side. The forward section of the replacement single-exhaust system is mandrel-bent 14-gauge steel, aluminized for rust protection; the rear portion is 16-gauge tubing. The standard Banks pipes and mufflers, as tested, have a 3-inch diameter, which has the ability to flow a lot more gases than the stock 2 1/2-inch system. An optional "monster" exhaust with 3 1/2-inch diameter tubing is also available. Banks told us that the larger-diameter system, which we did not test, is good for about 4 or 5 extra horsepower at peak rpm."

- Banks Sidewinder Turbo Trailer Life - March 1993

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online