Pondering a turbo

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@typ4 yes rebuilt and upgraded! This turbo is awesome my truck sounds and performs like I've always wanted it to finally!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on your description in my thread a turbo should be fine.

A leak down amd compression test would be ideal first of course....

Just keep expenses down...by turbo kit have russ rebuild it and add a banks dp...that will be great for your current setup IMHO.

WHEN U GET INTO STUDDING and rebuilt heads and bigger IP u may be able use the 3"dp but stock engine and IP banks fine.

JM7.3CW Eh!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few things...sounds good...see no reason not add turbo.

Could you get the belt brand and # for your alternator and your AC belts please?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TY...seeing as u have a 3g pivot style this answers some ?'s for me.....

Thus I can swap one into my beast....

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang! O.K. I'm well past pondering! After talking with typ4 Russ about a braided stainless oil line, I decided to take him up on his offer of a complete kit with a upgraded turbo. Substantial amount more money, but I'd rather do it right the first time. I also talked with Dieselcrawler Corey and he's willing to time my engine for me! I'll be picking his brain about turning up my fuel and other stuff as well. A generous offer from a knowledgeable professional, you can't beat that! I've got a few questions for the collective: 1) what's a good plan for the balance of the turbo back exhaust? I've got to ditch the 30 year old stock system and let her breathe! I'll be using the banks 3" down pipe, is there a off the shelf system that will fit? 3"or 4"? Will a 4" system make much difference with my mostly stock old mule? I'm looking for power, but I'm mostly concerned about EGT and I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible. I've got a excellent exhaust shop not to far away. He does his own mandrel bends and for the quality of the work he does, it's very reasonable. However, if there is a off the shelf option that's more affordable, I'd probably take it. 2) what pyrometers are good? I've got AutoMeter Z series gauges for the rest of my gauges so I am thinking of the same for EGT and boost unless you guys say otherwise. So as of now, my plan is while I'm waiting for the package from Russ to arrive, I'll continue to spray the exhaust nuts and bolts with PB Blaster and get the EGT probe and gauges installed. Then install the new turbo kit, then the exhaust system and then make the drive to Dieselcrawler's place to check/adjust the timing and fuel. Does this sound like a good plan to you guys? Your input is much appreciated!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diamond eye sells a kit for the obs power stroke trucks in 3" and 4" and 5" all very affordable priced. If you want the best performance I would go 4" 5 won't give you any gains but will be louder, 3 inch will choke it some