Pondering a turbo

pafixitman

Reaction score
I was going to ask you guys about the down pipe. I'm fairly certain that both kits are factory, Would a upgraded down pipe make a significant difference over the stock pipe? Depending on funds, I'm planning to free up the exhaust. I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible as well as free flowing. Any recommendations? Down pipe? Muffler?

Yes - big difference on the DP. I cut my factory one in half to see the restriction. Just to help ease your mind a bit... Many years ago I bought a factory 093 turbo from Darrin Tosh - sight unseen, complete, for $750. I upgraded the down pipe, and housing (can't remember what the actual difference in the housing was - maybe allow for the larger dp?) Now, my turbo install ended up costing me almost 1500 because I "had" (as told to my wife at the time) to install gauges (6 total - 3 Isspro, 3 AutoMeter), upgrade the dp, housing, and add a banks adapter for a road draft tube.

I had the banks power pak on the truck already so I had a 3" Magnaflow exhaust.

I never rebuilt the turbo or anything - installed it and ran it. Now things have changed in the IDI parts availability world so I am not real sure of what the DP options are. I know Justin has some tidbits available and others use different DP's after modifications.

On a side note I have been looking at that ad since he posted it. If my son was not starting college next week......

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - big difference on the DP. I cut my factory one in half to see the restriction. Just to help ease your mind a bit... Many years ago I bought a factory 093 turbo from Darrin Tosh - sight unseen, complete, for $750. I upgraded the down pipe, and housing (can't remember what the actual difference in the housing was - maybe allow for the larger dp?) Now, my turbo install ended up costing me almost 1500 because I "had" (as told to my wife at the time) to install gauges (6 total - 3 Isspro, 3 AutoMeter), upgrade the dp, housing, and add a banks adapter for a road draft tube.

I had the banks power pak on the truck already so I had a 3" Magnaflow exhaust.

I never rebuilt the turbo or anything - installed it and ran it. Now things have changed in the IDI parts availability world so I am not real sure of what the DP options are. I know Justin has some tidbits available and others use different DP's after modifications.

On a side note I have been looking at that ad since he posted it. If my son was not starting college next week......

Thanks!
In looking at the add, I don't see the down pipe. Since he's listing it as a "complete" kit, I'm composing a email to verify what he's including. Here's my list so far, let me know if you see anything that I'm missing.

Turbo
Y collector
Crossover pipe
Exhaust inlet casting
Down pipe
Marmon band clamp
Mounting pedestal
Oil return grommet
Air chamber and three seals
Turbo oil manifold w/ op sender
Oil supply line
Two heat shields
Air cleaner and restriction gauge
Left valve cover w/ CDR mount
Right valve cover w/ glow plug mount
Square cut intake manifold "O" ring

Many thanks!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a bit more custom fabrication than I'm set up for at the moment!

Naw, provided the kit is good and mostly there it's pretty much certain!
not a kit, every piece has been fabricated, including headers and power steering

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks complete to me, but im more of a visual person.

I would contact typ4 for a steel braided oil feed line.
I delete those olives.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the seals on the stock oil line. they are a 5/16" x 1/4" rubber hose slip fitted on the oil feed line to prevent leaks

pafixitman

Reaction score
I agree with Brian. There are more options available today for little upgrades because guys have improved the mousetrap.

Now I may get flamed for this but...

I never moved my GPC, deleted the CDR (so I never installed the turbo valve covers) and never installed the heat shields. I did have a "blanket" over my GPC, installed sound deadening / heat shield inside the cab on pass side floor, deleted the factory underbody exhaust area shield and trimmed the engine compartment firewall insulation to fit the DP. I also rerouted my return line to cross the front of the intake.

CDI or Type4 offer replacement gaskets I do believe. I cut mine out of gasket material. I only replaced the o ring on the valley pan.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Brian. There are more options available today for little upgrades because guys have improved the mousetrap.

Now I may get flamed for this but...

I never moved my GPC, deleted the CDR (so I never installed the turbo valve covers) and never installed the heat shields. I did have a "blanket" over my GPC, installed sound deadening / heat shield inside the cab on pass side floor, deleted the factory underbody exhaust area shield and trimmed the engine compartment firewall insulation to fit the DP. I also rerouted my return line to cross the front of the intake.

CDI or Type4 offer replacement gaskets I do believe. I cut mine out of gasket material. I only replaced the o ring on the valley pan.

Thanks for your help. Again, sorry for being a fng, but what is Brian's screen name so I know who you are referring to?
Any links to specific vendor websites that might help?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I be that IDIot Brian :D
hay Joe, aka pafixitman, wanna sell those valve covers since you think there complete junk?? :D