Poly axle pivot bushings

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Has anyone used the poly axle pivot bushings for the front twin I beams ?
I bought a set of those things and the instructions say to reuse the old shell from the old bushings, but they make zero mention of how to get the old bushing out. Is theis a situation where I have to burn them out with a torch and then clean out the shell with a wire wheel or ???
Thanks----Robert

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I have the poly bushings and yes a torch is the easiest way to get the old bushing out. I didn't have a torch available though, so I used a c clamp style ball joint press and a socket that fit just inside the outer shell and pressed them out. Then the wire wheel to clean out the remains of the rubber bushing.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'm doing the poly bushings today on the 93, I made a press out of exhaust tubing, large washers, threaded rod when I did the 85. It worked like a charm.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I just drilled the rubber out and then cleaned it with a knife I think. Not a bearing surface or anything so it dosent' have to be real clean.

It can be done on the truck if you use a jack under the leaf pack after you remove the axle pivot bushing bolt. Just drop the jack CAREFULLY and slowly and the bushing end of the beam will drop down. Just be careful you don't drop a beam down so much it freaks up of hits its own axle.