Plastic "Powerstroke" cover doodad?

jvencius

Reaction score
Can anyone think of a good reason to keep the plastic "Powerstroke" cover over the fuel filter ( '02 PSD ) and not just toss it in the trash? Right now mine is sitting behind the back seat since I can't think of a good reason to keep it. Hell, it makes changing fuel filters a 15 minute job (vs a 3 minute job) and I don't see how it improves function at all... FWIW, I don't really care what the engine looks like when the hood's open, so long as it's clean (sort-of) and easily maintainable.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E-bay it, or put it for sale in our Marketplace section. Guys seem to look to buy those silly things from time to time.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
50 bux is 50 bux right?

nmu1974

Reaction score
I could have sworn the dealer told me that if I bought that part for 45K he would throw in the truck for free. Well, maybe I'm wrong.

RenoF250

Reaction score
You must have a 1999? I do not have to take it off my 2000 to change the filter but I know we did on my BILs 1999. I do not think they add much to the appearance, I just keep it because it was there. Also, the metal bracket undrneath holds a heater hose.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
jvencius said:
The 10 minute removal time includes the time to drink one (1) beer. :cheers:

Drink faster JV :rotflmao

I liked it on my '95.

On another forum there was a guy who was machining/cutting/stamping these covers and would personalize them for you. They looked kinda cool.

John

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
the bolts rusted on mine and i plinked them off when i tried to remove the cover now i have a metal bracket on top of my motor with two rusty broken bolts in them... when i get a minute i'm going to drill the holes out a little bigger and use some stainless hardware to put my plastic back on

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
jlayne said:
the bolts rusted on mine and i plinked them off when i tried to remove the cover now i have a metal bracket on top of my motor with two rusty broken bolts in them... when i get a minute i'm going to drill the holes out a little bigger and use some stainless hardware to put my plastic back on

Damn and I thought I was the only one who had that happen. I just threw the plastic cover in the garage. Now access to everything is much easier.

NVCowboy

Reaction score
First Post on this site . . . TDS Refugee (Still like to look around over there for some tidbits of info amongst all the ego's)

Harvey beat me to it. I saw a site that had a brushed stainless replacement cover. I cant remember where now. Serious bling bling, if your into bling. Appealed to me in a bling sort of way, but I have better things to spend $50 on than a cool fuel filter cover. Like a set of cab marker lights, hmm guess thats kind of bling too.

jvencius

Reaction score
NVCowboy said:
First Post on this site . . . TDS Refugee (Still like to look around over there for some tidbits of info amongst all the ego's)

Harvey beat me to it. I saw a site that had a brushed stainless replacement cover. I cant remember where now. Serious bling bling, if your into bling. Appealed to me in a bling sort of way, but I have better things to spend $50 on than a cool fuel filter cover. Like a set of cab marker lights, hmm guess thats kind of bling too.

First of all, welcome to another escapee from the dark side... Breathe easy--over here you can actually say "fart" or wish someone a Happy Thanksgiving or Merry Christmas without Lord Lester and his herd of minions moderating you.

Second--Dennis at ITP sells the fancy brushed stainless covers, but since (today, probably) I'll be completely removing the bracket that supported the plastic cover just to get it out of the way. I will be leaving the part of it on the passenger's side of the engine since it supports some hoses/wiring (no idea what they go to, since I haven't really taken the time to inspect 'em yet) but the rest is going bye-bye. IMO, if the plastic cover had a purpose, i.e. it worked as a heat/rain/dust shield, I'd leave it in place, but since it's apparently worthless as far as functionality goes, it's getting Ebay'ed (in case someone actually wants it).