Pictures of my truck...finally!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How exactly did you go about doing the headliner? Where did you find the materials? Did you make a new backing, or how did you go about prepping the old backing?

I ask because I need to re-cover my headliner desperately...it's been out of the truck for a good 2 years now, and between the noise and the ugliness, I'd really like to get it back in...but, I don't know the first thing about upholstery work...

Thank you! BTW, the truck looks good!! :thumbsup:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks all, gotta love that truck more every time I drive it :D

On the headliner, go to pep boys for the material, I think they have brown, blue, and grey, but not always in stock and often their boyz don't know what the heck it is, my old store closed down and I had to drive 30 miles to the store in Vallejo just to have the guy try to sell me carpet instead :rotflmao. Expect to spend $40 plus tax, just big enough for my crew cab roof.

***Buy ONLY the fabric from them, do not under any circumstances use their glue!!!***

For the glue, go to the hardware store and buy 2 cans of "3M general trim adhesive-clear". If you don't need the second can, fine, if you don't get it and run out when you are 90% done you are in deep $#!+.

Looks like this, $9 each.

To get the backing clean I took a stiff bristled brush and knocked the junk off, washed and dried the brush and went over it again, then a third time with the brush clean again untill I was satisified that I got 99%+ of it off and what was still there wasn't going to move.

Sticking it down is easy but tedious and takes at least 2 people, lay it out with clothes pins and make sure it covers the entire surface, just barley is OK since it will stretch a little bit, unclip the pins from half of it and fold that side back, then hold the lose end up with one hand, one of you on each side, and practice rubing the liner onto the backing several times untill you are comftorable you have the method down.

***Most important of all, you will be using a contact adhesive, once the adhesive is applied to both materials and they touch it is permanant, you can't pull them appart and start over in the event of an OOps! Practice untill you have it down right***

Don't let it scare you, just make sure you practice first :D

The method for laying it down is simple, start from the center and lightly rub out to the edge nearest you while holding the lose end up, don't pull to hard or you will stretch it too much, just enough to keep it off of the backing, do a few inches at a time, each person has one side, once you reach the outside go back to the center and press a little more down, keep working it out, when you have glue on it you will need to be carefull you don't get any bubbles or creases, once you have the one side done you will take the clips from the other side and repeat the process.

You can practice too little, but you can't practice too much, this is my 3rd headliner and I still practice a few times before lay the glue down.

Got the method down? Time for glue and the real deal! Lay a liberal coating of the 3M adhesive on each side and wait for it to tack up, then lay the material in place like you practiced, once it is all in place you can carefully trim the the excess.

Don't forget to read the directions on the glue can and the headliner material box, should fill in any holes I left, let me know if anything is unclear.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
I think they have brown, blue, and grey
-cuss Figures...I've got the lovely maroon interior. OTOH, I've got a line on a set of blue bucket seats when $$ allows (assuming he still has them when I can raise the $$), and I've thought about just gathering parts and making my interior blue, so this may not be such a bad thing...

Thank you for the instructions! Without the parts right in front of me, it looks clear enough...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only $60? ...that might be worth saving myself the aggravation... I've done some minor upholstery work before (replaced some carpet in my old Bug), and was thoroughly frustrated by the time I was done...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Not all materials are created equal, for $60 I don't see how you can use high quallity materials and make a profit. My boss had one done at a shop and it was $350-400, but it might have included a new backing.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Dunno. Color matched, never came down even though all the windows were always open, and part of the reason the old one came down was that my dad's head hit it in the back, the new one didn't. I even poked in to see how 'spongy' it was (the old backing wasn't, styrofoam?).
Maybe I got lucky.
James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist