Picked a fight with a 1st gen Cummins.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was driving home from re-doing a baseball field over today, minding my own business doing about 55 mph on the 4 lane headed back into town. Anyways, a big military tan colored 1 generation Cummins Ram with a BIG honkin single stack pulled up along side of me and gave my truck the once over and then carried on down the road.

Me, not being one to take anything sitting down popped the blinker on and pulled into the hammer lane behind him and followed him, not closely just normally.

Then, while going past the next exit, I let'r have it! I went past him like he was sitting still (although I don't think he was onto it all the way) and stayed up there for the rest of the 4 or 5 mile trip to my exit. Coming up onto my exit I backed off the throttle and let him get along side of me.

He came onto it (I KNOW he was into it this time) and I flattened the go pedal and ran away from him again. I thought that these Cummins engines outpowered our IDI's :dunno

It was all in good fun as he gave me a thumbs up when I got off the highway.

If anyone knows who's truck this was, I'd like to get ahold of him and see what he has done to the truck. It's a nice looking unit.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Those 1st gen rams make similar power numbers to the IDI. The last dyno event I was at had two 1st gen rams post lower numbers than me.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Its hard to say what he had done to his truck, but having owned a unmolested first gen I will say that stock 89-93 vs. Turbo IDI the IDI will turn out much more power. That said I was able to make a reliable 250+ rwhp without spending more than $200 on that six cylinder when I was done with it...

It is surprising how anemic a stock first gen feels. Especially one with the 21cm turbo housing :puke:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, a stock first gen is 160hp/400 ft/lb... SLOOOOOW, especially if it's an auto.. they don't have lockup converters.
Stock they only make about 14-15lbs of boost... Mine is still "stock" parts wise other than the governor spring, and it makes 34 psi... My IDI right now feels stronger than my Cummins was stock, and it's N/A...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
My bro had a 91 dodge and my friends stock 7.3 na dually with a flatbed- never weighed it but very heavy truck would make mince meat out of that dodge racing but if you put a trailer behind them the cummins would start to pull ahead the heavier the trailer got. when my brother found the dodge bible that story changed though. that truck had a 21 cm housing and the pump messed with and i ran a 350 chevelle with a little done to it and a mustang gt and left them sitting in the dust.

in stock form they are slow but pretty powerful but when the power and speed really starts to show is when you make fuel modifications

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys should have ridden in my truck when I bought it. The only performance mod was a straight piped stock exhaust. It had the 21cm housing on the turbo and it made a whoppin' 13 psi;Sweet. Talk about sloowwwww, and then I put 35s on itcookoo Slower yetLOL The one thing it always had though was torque. It held speed pretty decent when towing in the mountains, it just didn't get there real fast. It's still no rocket, but I liken it to an anvil, stupid simple and reliable. I bet my dad's truck would give me a run for my money empty, but it couldn't keep up if there was a trailer involved.
Travis..
Oh yea, almost forgot, mine's still governed at 2600 rpm

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I honnestly figgured that he would have me...but it wasn't even close! I walked ALL over that truck.

Not to brag, but it was like a station wagon (with FAKE wooden panelling) vs. a Viper GTS R.

I would LOVE to find who owns that truck, find a deserted road and go from a dead stop with the camera rolling.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys are funny, my 1st gen will eat my idi alive. All I've done to the goat is turn the fuel 1 and a 1/2 turns and bump the timing 1/8 and 4" exhaust. I can max my lil h1c at 25 psi no prob with a light load.

Dont get me wrong I love the idi, but when it comes to power the cummins wins.

Stu

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I know when I dyno'd the E way back in the day I wasn't the lowest numbers of the day, a 1st gen was lower. He was all stock and getting numbers before making changes. I know when I was shopping for a new to me truck I drove a first gen, second gen (12 and 24 flavors), PSD (OBS) all were stock or supposed to be and I wasn't impressed with any of them. I knew there was power to be had way beyond what I could with the IDI but in stock form they just didn't impress me much.

Now the one that I did end up buying had a just a little bit of extra power and did impress me a little.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first gen stayed stock for about a week... And I didn't drive it the first week I had it... LOL As it sits now, I couldn't put it back to stock if I wanted to... I lengthened the fuel screw... LOL