Pick-n-pull thread

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Since the subject comes up regularly I thought I'd share my experiences with various yards. I went on a recon run a couple years ago to see what yards were the most worthwhile.

PNP map

Fairfield- good selection, fairly large, usually some good trucks

Rancho Cordova- (2 yards, american and foreign) hands down the best, great selection of everything.

Sacramento-smaller than rancho cordova, but usually better chance of finding something good, lotsa vans and a good number of trucks, last time I was in there I think I counted arround a dozen 80-86 broncos/F series

Rocklin- isn't worth the $2, but if you are there and have the hand stamp then go for it, strangely poor selection, but had the best cars for sale :confused:

San Jose, North and south- Average, seemes to have poor overall selection in comparison to other yards of comprable size, but I have seen some rare pieces in them, once saw a pristine cummins dodge minus engine, wrecked lightly ;Really and the super rare Subaru SVX.

Newark- see Roklin

Oakland- moderate sized yard, total crapshoot as to what they have, bigest variance I have ever seen.

Richmond- Small-moderate, tucked away yard, usually has some suprising treasures

Windsor- generally OK, but dosn't fit well into a road trip of several yards, so I only go if I have a reason to be in the area anyway.

Stockton- too far of a drive for me, only been there once, good sized yard, even saw a V12 BMW minus engine LOL probably worth it if you live closer.

Hope this helps anyone looking :thumbsup:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hope you lived around here Md so you could tell Me what's best. Only thing we ave here (that I know of) is brandiwine and it sucks, they only have a few ambulance 7.3 vans for the last 2 years and there is almost nothing I can get out of them + they wanted 1.5k for an engine, last time I dear to ask.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I thought parts got cheaper as you headed east, all the rust increases the supply and lowers the demand LOL

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're right next to Lake Erie and the salt mines. Cars start rusting when they are 5 years old. I picked up a 3/4 ton axle and springs for $100 here.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I'm also a fan ( and customer) of Crazy ray's. I especially like the fact that there is a published ( and available online) pricelist so there is no haggling, and no subjective prices. I do a fair amount of browsing at Crazy ray's and I do not pay a premium for some parts because they are for my mercedes.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Michael Fowler said:
I do not pay a premium for some parts because they are for my mercedes.

Sounds like p'n'p, although the published price list is open to some interpritation, prices are fixed, but depends on what the cashiere calls it and if they will nickel and dime you to death or let a couple things slip through.

If you want honda parts you're gonna eat the big one :puke: bmw/mbz are a bargian, but some truck parts are more than BMW parts cookoo

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PNP here in San Jose is a crap shoot. I have found things I'm looking for, but I think you have to be a regular to catch the good deals when they come in.
I don't know how often they turn over their truck inventory, but would sure like to know the schedule.

They have this interesting way of doing business. They charge you 10 per cent extra for return privileges, but you can only buy this option when you buy the part. Also, if there are attached parts, they will charge you extra for them. For example, if you bought a hood, they'd charge you extra for the latches and hinges that come with it. They even charged me extra for the bulb, wire and connector on a tail-light assembly I bought. It can get pretty irritating. :backoff

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Full Monte said:
PNP here in San Jose is a crap shoot. I have found things I'm looking for, but I think you have to be a regular to catch the good deals when they come in.
I don't know how often they turn over their truck inventory, but would sure like to know the schedule.

They have this interesting way of doing business. They charge you 10 per cent extra for return privileges, but you can only buy this option when you buy the part. Also, if there are attached parts, they will charge you extra for them. For example, if you bought a hood, they'd charge you extra for the latches and hinges that come with it. They even charged me extra for the bulb, wire and connector on a tail-light assembly I bought. It can get pretty irritating. :backoff

Yes it can, but that is what they do for living, you get the parts you have to pay for them too. Now it helps a lot when they guy does not know what is it that you took, for instance they charge Me $5 for a complete GP harness with controller included ;Sweet .

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Full Monte said:

I have never left with any small parts in my pocket, sock, ect :angel:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
On a side note, at the rancho cordova foreign yard (duknow if he ever works at the american yard) there is a kid, early 20's, short hair, who will nickel and dime the snot out of you, sometimes if some of the guys see you on a regular basis they will cut you a bit of a break, just remember to be really nice to them all the time :hail

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I had great luck with Lacy's in Richmond VA - got a 10.25 rear complete (well, missing one drum) for $150:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online