Perhaps an awful idea.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an aside, my van is an 84, and until recently had all the original AC stuff. I just mounted a 508 compressor. It took a little fiddling on the mount and I needed to crimp new fittings on the hoses. But I now see vent temps of 39 degrees. It's running Enviro Safe.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can someone with a factory ac bullnose post a picture up of how their hvac system under the hood by the blower motor is setup? I've been doing some homework on collecting parts for this but the biggest issue is going to be getting the lines to an evaporator core. I don't get how in most trucks it looks like the heater core is in under the dash but in mine it is in the engine bay. I was under the impression that the heater core difference was from bull to brick not ac or no ac.

If this is the case, I might as well buy an under the dash evaporator core with a separate fan system and use the same parts I would have if this was still going to be factory under the hood because I think there would be way too much modifications made to make the heater core fit under the dash to make room for the evap core under the hood. Hmm..

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,

In the bullnose trucks, there is a huge difference between Factory A/C and Non-A/C trucks. To convert to Factory A/C not only do you need the engine side box for the evap, which will also move the heater core into the cab, you will also need the entire dash and air plenum assembly. The Non-A/C trucks do not have the plenum or dash vents for the A/C. So you need all the parts on BOTH sides of the firewall.