people say i am nuts

tractorman86

Reaction score
i rescently came across a 2000 f250 psd 4x4 a/t CC LB, the front clip has been taken apart and needs the motor put in it(they said new but i am guessing reman) and it just needs a computer. the guy wants $2,000 for it the way it sits with all parts. here is the crazy part, i am pretty sure i am going to buy it, but not to keep. i am going to put it all back togather just to turn around and sell it (hopping for $12,500), just to put the money i need into the 91 idi, turbo, tires/wheels, 6-speed, rear discs:thumbsup: . Does this make me crazycookoo ?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you work on '99 and up for a living, you will earn every penny of the $8k profit. Mechanics HATE picking up after someone else's teardowns. I charge double of book for putting back together soneone else's abortions. If I was in your shoes, I'd buy it in a hot second. But don't delude yourself that this is going to be an easy buck.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Doesn't sound too crazy, but be ready for some obstacle$$$ to cut into that profit, which will have to come out of your pocket in order to put it back together. There's always something.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd buy it in a heartbeat...in fact I would travel 2400 miles to pick it up at that price...But I would part it out on ebay and get my money back faster than trying to sell it whole.

Putting together sombody elses mess is a real PITA. Superduties are expensive to repair, most stuff is easily double that of the old body style, (don't ask me how I know), and anything that is missing on the "complete" truck can easily add up to more than you think you might be able to sell it for.

You can get your $2k back out of the engine alone, more if you strip and part out the PSD, everything after that is profit.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parting stuff is how I make my play money. I generally don't touch my VA disability check, give it all to Mama to take care of the house and groceries and fiddle around in the shop taking stuff apart nearly to every nut and bolt.

Run $0.99 to $9.99 no reserve auctions depending on what it is. I take some and put to the side to purchase my next victim and use the leftovers for goodies I want or the occasional financial emergency that might pop up.

My latest Kill......JD 318 garden tractor. The extra set of tires is the only thing I have left over from a 420 I parted a while back, only have them because I was keeping them and havn't advertised them yet. They go this week.

You must be registered for see images attach

Started disassembly Monday, will finish parting the engine, trans & rear axle tomorrow, then it's pics, weigh, measure and write ads for a couple days.

Still have a 317 waiting to part, half of a 216 and a 50" deck from the 318. I paid $600 for this lot and should clear $3 - $4k out of it:D ....Best part is I can work as hard as I want and break when my body says STOP!!!

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch! You'd do just as well to fix them up and resel them. 318's especially are still highly prized and hold their value really well.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i secound the parting, vehicles are worth more in parts than a whole. i have always made much better off doing it that way. the only downside is then you have half assembled stuff hanging around for a while and the work to pull it apart (speaking of i have a truck to tear apart:backoff ). i bought a 200 thinderbird and made close to a grand in parting it out at carlisle car show a couple of years back. i sold the stuff cheep to, it all moved.

of course you could always have some fun and put your engine in the truck and not worry about the computer:D sell the PSD engine and still come out ahead

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch! You'd do just as well to fix them up and resel them. 318's especially are still highly prized and hold their value really well.

Think this is bad, you'ld cry watching me part a perfectly good 430 diesel...When I can get my hands on a good one for about $2k I can make $5k - $6k in parts.

Most I deal with like this one are too far gone to make a profit fixing and re-selling them.

This one has a rotted deck & rear fenders, bad bearings in the deck and front wheels, no compression on one cylinder and was missing about $300 worth of parts for the ignition system alone. It would cost about $2k - $3k and 1 month of labor to rebuild, for a tractor that was worth $2500 - $3500 in mint condition. Not worth it IMHO unless I was gonna keep it. I do this for profit.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea that would be hard to save one that far gone and make money. Deere parts are expensive. I'd love to have a 420 or 430 diesel, that's for sure, but I don't need any more in the stable.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I've been hijacked,jk well i've got some bad news guys :frustrate . lastnight i called the guy and was ready to finalize the deal and he decided to back out :kick: he is going to finish it himself then sell it!!!!!!!!:mad: -cuss

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been hijacked,jk well i've got some bad news guys :frustrate . lastnight i called the guy and was ready to finalize the deal and he decided to back out :kick: he is going to finish it himself then sell it!!!!!!!!:mad: -cuss
If he wasn't the one who tore it down, it's time to make yourwelf a new "buddy" and stop in an check on his progress from time to time. But make sure you're busy so that you can't stay for long. Who knows, he just might lose interest and still sell it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.