Painting side mirrors

CMNS PWR

Reaction score
I saw another silver Dodge similar to mine with its side view mirror housings painted to match the body paint. Its James Silva's truck out in CA...looks real nice. :rock: I do not have his email, or I would ask him. I want to paint mine to match the rest of the truck to enhance the "sport" look. How is this done since its plastic?

XcumminsX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im interested in this to. I have the towing mirrors. I think it would look awesoem if they matched the body

Nick

Whit

Reaction score
Gents, There is a new paint out there for plastic applications from Krylon called plastic fusion ...I think, check into it , it is supposed to adhere very well to plastic.

Cheers, Kevin

jvanwaardhuizen

Reaction score
plastic fusion

I have tried the stuff and it does work but I am curious if it can be used as primer for regular paint?

Whit

Reaction score
I dont understand why you would want regular paint on them as the plastic flexes the paint will come off.

Cheers, Kevin

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paint has to be mixed with some flex agent in it to help it adhere when the plastic flexes. The problem with using Krylon is that it may be hard to get a good color match (plus you'll want clear on after and you still need to buff to get a nice finish). If you want it done, take it to a good paint shop, not a collision repair center, and ask them. I'm taking my truck to my painter in the morning to get my flames done. I'll ask him about painting the mirrors and handles.

CHarlan

Reaction score
I know Western Hauler, and 2L Custom Trucks do it, but do not know how much they charge.. They look damn sharp though!

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to ask. I should talk to him in the next day or so. I thought about painting mine, but I found some billet door handles so I got those. I probably leave my mirrors alone. I ask him anyway.

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. He said painting the mirrors and handles is no problem. Most of the better brands of automotive paint (PPG or Spies Hecker) have enough flexability in them to paint plastic. He said it must be done in at least two coats with sanding in between. The first coat fills the plastic to make it smooth. The second coat makes it shine like the rest of the paint. Most good autobody shops can do the job.

We looked at my factory handles and they look like they would be real hard to paint unless you can take them completely apart.

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine painted they first have to be plastic primed wich will make the plastic turn white. Then they will paint them with regular paint with flex in it due to the plastic expanding and contracting... They should match perfectly with your paint code on the door.... I would not pay more than $100 for the tow mirrors....

MikeO

Reaction score
When I painted the plastic trim on my running boards, I scrubbed it with Bleche-white (Purple Power works good too), rinsed it and dried it.

Wet sanded it with #400 paper, scrubbed it again.

Used PPG DPX-801 Universal Plastic Adhesion Promoter.
2 light coats of PPG Primer, light sanding with #400 after it dried
2 light coats of DBU base coat
2 coats of clear

Boards have been on the truck since July, and no chipping or peeling, even on the inside of the mud guards, so I guess it worked.

Flex agent is not necessary on hard plastic with the PPG paint - and many body shops and some PPG techs say it is not necessary on the new urethane bumpers. The 2 keys are making sure the plastic is clean and well prepped before you start painting, and use thin coats to minimize the possiblity of chipping & peeling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online