Pacific Northwest

Green Mule

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to both this forum and my 2004 Ford PSD.:D

I'll setup my sig rtc when I can. Hello to all from cowboy country.:cheers:

Green Mule

Reaction score
Welcome GM - hope your Ford is good to you.

So far so good. Had to replace the turbo at 420 miles and the low tone horn last Monday. 5500 miles on it now..love this truck...it can really move out!:Thumbs Up
:cheers: :cheers:

B

Big K

Originally posted by Green Mule
So far so good. Had to replace the turbo at 420 miles and the low tone horn last Monday. 5500 miles on it now..love this truck...it can really move out!:Thumbs Up
:cheers: :cheers:

I have driven one. They do scoot :)

Disclaimer - sensitive Ford guys, don't get riled. Just innocent curiosity. ;)

What was the problem with the Turbo? I have an acquaintance who traded his off after 6 visits back to the dealer, and no reconciliation of a turbo related issue. He didn't know much, but said it would just "stop working" :confused: I assumed some kind of wastegate problem, but am unfamilliar with the system.

What is a "low tone horn"? Is that just the vehicle's horn malfunctioning, or something with which I'm not familliar?

For the record, I have another friend w/an '04, auto, F-350, long crew. He's very happy, except for fuel economy. :( After driving it, I know it would spank me soundly in a drag race. We have not towed yet, but I think I've got a good chance there. ;p

Light truck diesels have come a long way in a short time. We're all the better for it.

sagebel

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here and I guess a TDS refugee. It seems like there are a lot of Dodge guys here in WA. Not many Ford guys on the forums compared to the number of trucks that I see. Maybe I'll meet some of you at BD next month.

Scott

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K
I have driven one. They do scoot :)

Disclaimer - sensitive Ford guys, don't get riled. Just innocent curiosity. ;)

What was the problem with the Turbo? I have an acquaintance who traded his off after 6 visits back to the dealer, and no reconciliation of a turbo related issue. He didn't know much, but said it would just "stop working" :confused: I assumed some kind of wastegate problem, but am unfamilliar with the system.

What is a "low tone horn"? Is that just the vehicle's horn malfunctioning, or something with which I'm not familliar?

For the record, I have another friend w/an '04, auto, F-350, long crew. He's very happy, except for fuel economy. :( After driving it, I know it would spank me soundly in a drag race. We have not towed yet, but I think I've got a good chance there. ;p

Light truck diesels have come a long way in a short time. We're all the better for it.

BigK....IIRC Fords VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo ) AKA VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbo Pioneered with its first prod vehicle debut in the 1989 Carrol Shelby Dodge CSX) AKA VAT (Variable Area Turbine ) Problems have been based on the 'eccentric sliding vanes' that direct the exhaust gasses carboning up and freezing in an open or closed position... this is due in no small part to the EGR . If the nozzles freeze open you will have great low boost response, and no top end power and high egts. If the nozzles freeze closed... you guessed it , worse than regular turbo spool up time as the turbo has now been 'trimmed' for high rpm/boost running. Most VNT turbos do not use a wastegate as the eccentric vanes controlled by the computer will automatically trim the turbo to a preset boost limit. However the one downfall that dodge discovered on these beautirs (and they are a great turbo don't get me wrong) with severe enough overfuelling(power adding chips) one CAN OVERTEMP this turbo ..... so be careful... don't say i told you so. IIRC the VNT turbos with racing success were built to loose tolerances and used titanium impellers instead of inconel. Also these rally turbos (ford cosworth 4BTD rallye were rebuilt after each stage (mostly due to the bearing technology at the time not up to task dealing with the high heat of a VNT turbo internally) with todays new ceramet bearings, a VNT is a viable option (with a titanium compressor wheels)
Just what i gleaned from my 2.2 dodge years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online