Overheating, odds it's the thermostat, which to get?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to add one to the pile of 'interesting head gasket failures'. A friend of mine has an IDI with a blown headgasket, leak from combustion to radiator.
Last time we fired it up, It basically hydrolocked for a second(starter cranked then stopped, like a dead battery)... then continued cranking just fine(as the coolant was pushed out)?
It ran fine, on all 8 cylinders, though the exhaust smelled like coolant.

Before that, I'd seen it drive around just fine, never did the hydrolocking thing, but ate coolant at a remarkable rate. I added a whole gallon after <100 miles.

I didn't see any coolant in the oil; but I haven't checked /now/, after that last start.

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the closest threat I can find concerning the problem i have. I have a 88 f250 custom 7.3 idi with manual tranny, it is a 2 wheel drive. Now to the problem. I was doing in town driving, 40Mph at most. I was towing a 18 ft trailer helping a friend move. During a stop to get some drinks I kept the pickup running for a few minutes. When I took off I heard squealing for just a few seconds, first thought was get back to the house ( about a mile away) and check the belts, after a half mile or so, the heat guage was pegged hot, pulled over in the next parking lot, opened hood, no steamover, overflow tank was bubbling, but after a few minutes rest radiator cap removed but coolant level fine. Looking around I noticed fan and fan clutch had somehow unscrewed from the water pump. I had luckily pulled in where an O'Reillys was and borrowed a loaner 48mm fan clutch wrench and reinstalled fan clutch. Got the pickup home but guage stayed pegged hot. My thought is new fan clutch and thermostat as well as belts has the fan took a large chunk out. The truck starts fine, but now I notice noises on startup and acceleration something like loose metal on metal. Coolant level is fine, no oil in radiator or water in engine noticed. My thought is water pump got ate up. What is your opinion? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think you should check your water pump for play in the shaft. Grab the top of the fan and try to move it forward and back. Any movement means that your water pump is gone and should be replaced.

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sticky Stat
First time closed
now is full time open
Yep, I figured that so i replaced it. Got water pump today, took the old one off yesterday, not pretty, the water vein was ate up and came apart in my hand

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, finally started installing of parts, looked in the fill hole of radiator and didn't like the looks, ran a scope in the radiator!! All clogged up, no leak Mark's notes, brought it to a radiator shop, am disgusted with a near 300 dollar repair. Any recommendations for new radiator?

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, finally started installing of parts, looked in the fill hole of radiator and didn't like the looks, ran a scope in the radiator!! All clogged up, no leak Mark's notes, brought it to a radiator shop, am disgusted with a near 300 dollar repair. Any recommendations for new radiator?

A screenshot of the radiator, the rest of the video I screwed up but the whole top of the core was like this
You must be registered for see images

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a week or so, original radiator is beyond economic repair, new core out the door, as little over $700. I found an aluminum 3 core on Amazon, it came today 10 earlier than the projected time. It was packaged in honey comb, and no noticeable damage, the welds appear to be top notch. I am not working on it until morning as the weather here in yuma is 108. So far G-plus performance parts has treated me good!!
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.