overheating fears

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would need to be a pretty mean fan to match the stock fan with a working clutch.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ine-Cooling-For-The-6-9l-7-3l-Navistar-Diesel
Well here is one example of guys on here converting to electric fans. I have not done this yet but I had this idea back In the late 80's. On trips summertime to South Dakota my 6.9 would die on the hills when the fan kicked in from hp loss. I also would go thru belts alot faster due to the fan coming on all the time. When its 100 degrees or better going across that prarie on I-80 in Iowa and I-90 In SD, towing or carrying a load, that fan is on almost non-stop on the flats and uphills. There is numerous threads on here of how to convert to electrics. I never herd anyone say they had a problem with overheating. Most new cars and tucks only have electric fans.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric fans carry a lot of baggage with them. You have to get the good strong fans from the junkyard, or it will overheat. Then if you get fans that are strong enough, the stock alternator cannot handle the load, so a alterrnator upgrade has to be part of the conversion. Then most people on here buy some sort of temp controller for them, etc.etc. You can make it work but it's a little bit involved to do.

I used two 16 inch aftermarket fans, they were not big enough and it did overheat. That's when I locked the fan together and never looked back.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
What if you put a couple of electric pusher fans in front of the radiator and keep the stock fan This would keep the fan clutch from locking until its really needed. Might save fuel, belt wear, and fan clutches.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if you put a couple of electric pusher fans in front of the radiator and keep the stock fan This would keep the fan clutch from locking until its really needed. Might save fuel, belt wear, and fan clutches.

The whole problem is the stock fan will never engage, it's broken. What I didn't like was a lot of people on here were forking out $140 for a new clutch, and it would only work for a year or so and they were back to square one with a non-working fan. And when they did work, they waited till 230 degrees before they kicked in, which I have heard is the factory design, but that's waiting till the last minute in my opinion before any real cooling starts.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely see over 205 degrees without any fan at all. With a working fan clutch the temp would drop to about 185 at idle fairly quickly. Theres probably another problem somewhere.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Yes I know your clutch is probably shot. But the added electrics may keep the stock fan off most of the time so it would last longer when you replace it the clutch. Just throwing it out there as a suggestion as I have never done it to an idi. I did do it to a 1978 454 chevy motor home and it worker great

The whole problem is the stock fan will never engage, it's broken. What I didn't like was a lot of people on here were forking out $140 for a new clutch, and it would only work for a year or so and they were back to square one with a non-working fan. And when they did work, they waited till 230 degrees before they kicked in, which I have heard is the factory design, but that's waiting till the last minute in my opinion before any real cooling starts.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely see over 205 degrees without any fan at all. With a working fan clutch the temp would drop to about 185 at idle fairly quickly. Theres probably another problem somewhere.

I agree, at idle if you are overheating you have some sort of other problem. But if you are driving down the interstate(even with all that airflow from moving down the road) and have the throttle to the floor pulling 7000+ lbs behind you on a trailer, you need a lot of airflow through the radiator to keep it cool. Every grade you hit you can watch the temp rise.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your killing a lot of power by running a fan locked up all the time.there's no way it doesn't kill economy too.if you don't drive it much,i suppose it wouldn't matter.id likely do the same.just replace the fan clutch though if you put any real miles per year on the truck.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your killing a lot of power by running a fan locked up all the time.there's no way it doesn't kill economy too.if you don't drive it much,i suppose it wouldn't matter.id likely do the same.just replace the fan clutch though if you put any real miles per year on the truck.

I will have to check it again. I was getting 15mpg with it right after the zf swap and the old broken fan. Next time I go on a trip I will see what it's getting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726