Opinions/options for turbo oil supply

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
O.K. I pulled my turbo off the other day and now I will be able to punch the holes for increaed draining from the turbo. My question is is there anything I can/should do to rework the oil supply? My truck is a 1990, but I installed a factory turbo kit off a 1994. I wish I had had internet at home when I first itstalled it - would have saved some trouble methinks:D I noticed that the hole size is different for the 1990 oil pressure sending unit location (smaller) and the 1994 turbo oil supply pickup. Is this size differance something I should worry about, and if so how is it corrected? I do show the same oil pressure with or without the turbo if that matters. Please help me while I have the turbo off and I will be eternally grateful :hail

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My turbo feed is tapped in the " Main Oil Gallery " port shown in this picture. It's close to the mating surface of the engine and trans. It should have a plug in there now that you would remove and screw in a 90 degree fitting. From the fitting I have a braided steel pressure line going right to the turbo. If you can't find it let me know and I'll get a picture for you.
You must be registered for see images attach

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wondered what taht hole was
ya its right between you gotta look over the back of the motor a bit its 2 inches or so down

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the oil gallery plug that you need to remove. It's on the drivers side of the engine. Might be an internal plug or an external like the one pictured. This was taken during the install of the turbo on the Enterprise many many years ago.

Attachments

• Oil Feed Plug.jpg
    Oil Feed Plug.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 58

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mine for the banks comes from the lower fitting near the oil filter. You can sucessfully run either the top or the bottom port with the same volume and pressure. Now as for the size differance. Only the turbo blocks have the 1/4 inch size ports. All other blocks have the 1/8 inch oil ports. If your looking of other oil ports there are two under the oil cooler. They are there for oil to an air compresser and for the bypass filters in the big S duty dump trucks. Be careful you don't comfuse the coolant plug above the oil filter. Those are 1/4 inch plugs on all motors. Even the 6.9 blocks. These oil pumps push just over 18 gallons per minute at 3000 rpm....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the passage is cleaned before installing a fitting, we have already lost one fresh turbo because of sludge in the galley.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
O.K, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like I'll be O.K. to use the hole for the oil pressure sending unit? It's the smaller size, but it looks like the smaller size is the only option on the factory N/A block. My oil pressure is the same either way - so I'm good right? Sorry if I miss-understood anybody's answer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Your fine using the na block ports. Just make sure they are clean. Like Russ posted. That may have been the reason for a turbo bearing failure to a turbo he installed on a motor a few years ago. If it was then its something that we recommend you clean out first before you just install and run a turbo. Poking a wire down into the port and then cranking the motor without starting it will push out any possible sludge if any is in there. Remember this is filtered oil that in the passages but sludge does acumulate in stagnent places.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This eliminates one area of worry for when I re-install the turbo later.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin