Opinions on Waste Motor Oil

wilsondoctor

Doctor
Reaction score
Hello
I can only hope you guys running WMO do it in a, other than Cummins, you think your saving $$$, my god, your not thinking. Reading all the blogs on WMO, and who advises it's use - no one I know, who is really thinking and reading about NO NO NO - do not do''. Sure run it in your Fords - who really cares - your saving money right - who cares about the injectors, pumps, and carbage your pouring into your engine.
Just my .2 worth.
JL

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a cheap pump, some cheese cloth, and a couple oil drums. I pour the WMO into one drum, pump it through the cheese cloth into the other drum, then pump it into the truck. I've ran a few gallons unfiltered over the last couple months, but finally got my pump and filter setup going, and today was my first tankful. I put approx 3.5 gallons of diesel in($10), then went home and top the tank off with WMO. Ran pretty good on the drive home, seemed to be peppier on the highway. Can definately smell it, and the smoke at idle is something else. But for free, I won't complain.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used wmo for 6 years now with no ill effects in any engine except needing to change fuel filters more often. I have used up to 75% in my idi trucks and in my kubota tractor. My powerstroke never liked over 25% or so. If you can run it where it does not smoke much I feel there is no harm. The old oil is going to end up burning in some kind of large engine or furnaces. If you can save $20 a week on fuel you can replace your fuel system twice a year or so if need be. The engines always seem to run smoother with the mix too.

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 89 idi w/no turbo yet. i do a quick check for any water. i also put "iso heet" in with my mixes to help with any water. but i always filter my oil through a 1 micron filter bag. as for % mix i always feel like im wasting money when im adding diesel. my trucks have always run good on any mix. but i generally start on diesel, then when its warm switch tanks and run on oil.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only filter down to 10 micron and have not had any significant issues, other than the ones I've already mentioned.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
used hydraulic fluid counts as WMO? what about straight ATF? well cut with #2 into the motor.. but ATF from a trans shop?

Tranny guy was like, oh hell no, not in my rig, too much metal, another buddy of mine is of the opinion 1 micron filtration, and good to go. He said motors produce metal just as well as trannys.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run hydraulic fluid, tons of ATF, transformer oil... whatever I can get. All at 10 microns.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
been running WMO for years in heavy doses with no ill effects that i know of. i have pulled the glow plugs and they looked fine with only a light tan coating and no erosion. i also heat my fuel which seems to help allot, allong with starting and stopping on diesel (or a lighter mix). actaully atf, power steering and hydraulic fluid seem to run better than WMO. i filter down to 1 mic.

even if my fuel system fails i have saved far more money than multiple rebuilds would cost.

its all at your own risk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726