Opinions on Waste Motor Oil

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I've been wondering about running WMO, what are the pros and cons, Doe's and don'ts, i filtered about two gallons worth and my trucks still running, I noticed more go and it sounds, and smells different. I heard of running ATF, I want to try that to, should i run it straight or mix it with diesel?, there is lots of farmers around here with lots of WMO, friend of mine has two 55 gallon drums full of WMO.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is free, but I think there is too much risk involved with using WMO. I'm in the process of replacing my IP, and know that I don't want to do it again for a long time.

Archie

DragRag

Reaction score
I have been using atf and wmo for years now, and have never replaced a pump. I highly recommend using it up to 60% in an IDI. Up to 75% in a powerstroke, this is what I have used, anymore and I get to much smoke for my taste.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before my injection pump starting leaking I was running a combination of atf, wvo and wmo. The truck ran and started great. The only problem I ever had was when the temps dropped to far and I killed a lift pump. The IP drew enough fuel to get me home at 35 mph and a lot of white smoke.

I havent run any for awhile due to not having enough time to filter it. Bun plan to start filtering for use when my baby moose pump is out of warrenty (once I get it back that is)

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I have been using atf and wmo for years now, and have never replaced a pump. I highly recommend using it up to 60% in an IDI. Up to 75% in a powerstroke, this is what I have used, anymore and I get to much smoke for my taste.

You've run 75% in a stroke?

I've run up to 80% in an IDI with success, but only run 50% in the stroke.. Both seem to smoke way too much at idle, but run clear otherwise.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine that rationale is the same as some people who say that the PSD is a great design for veggie oil because the fuel or oil runs through the heads and gets heated up in a PSD like it does not in an IDI. At least that is my understanding, I don't know much about the HEUI system. I think this applies to the 7.3 stroke and not the 6.0 or 6.4.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'd imagine that rationale is the same as some people who say that the PSD is a great design for veggie oil because the fuel or oil runs through the heads and gets heated up in a PSD like it does not in an IDI. At least that is my understanding, I don't know much about the HEUI system. I think this applies to the 7.3 stroke and not the 6.0 or 6.4.

Hey JD... How's it goin??

AFAIK the 6.0 and 6.4's both run the fuel through the heads, just like the 7.3.. From what I've read, the 6.0 and up are too picky, to run WMO. I would never even risk trying WMO in our '05 F350...

This topic is now bordering on O/T..

As far as my IDI... I've been running WMO on my baby Moose pump from day 1.. It gets great mileage and runs like a dream!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as my IDI... I've been running WMO on my baby Moose pump from day 1.. It gets great mileage and runs like a dream!

Just curious; I often see mention of a "baby Moose pump"; what is different about a "baby" pump as compared to a plain old Moose pump ??

Are there more variations, such as Mama and Papa Moose pumps ??

Thanks for enlightening me. :confused:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a stock rebuild of your pump to the specs it had when the truck came from the factory. Its not super fueled, but its a full rebuild instead of the crappy half assed rebuilds that many manufactures offer.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also had good luck with WMO. I run whatever junk I can get my hands on, and only filter it through a 10 micron spin on filter on a fueling station type pump. I mix WMO of all grades, ATF, transformer oil, whatever I can get. I only do use this cocktail on my Bronco. I don't trust the PSD very much in stock 100% well kept trim, yet alone do anything to it to give it reason to let me sit. Again. :rolleyes: Percentages are really unknown. I pretty much just start with 100% WMO, and cut it down with diesel until it flows reasonably well. Problems you MAY see, but which are offset sufficiently by the economics of the endevor, are....

Early IP and Injector failure
Fuel tank problems (clogging or contamination)
Eroding of glow plugs
coking in the precups
Excessive smoke
Unpleasant odor
decrease in performance

Individual use will vary. With diesel back at $3 a gallon, it doesn't take too many tankfulls to negate any of these effects.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Problems you MAY see, but which are offset sufficiently by the economics of the endevor, are....

Early IP and Injector failure
Fuel tank problems (clogging or contamination)
Eroding of glow plugs
coking in the precups
Excessive smoke
Unpleasant odor
decrease in performance

I haven't had my injectors out yet, but my Beru's seem to be doing just fine.. When I dropped the fuel tank, it was spotless. I guess all the sloshing around helps keep things stirred up.

The only excessive smoke I've seen, is when the thing is idling. I would imagine that the fuel isn't being burned hot enough, to completely burn.

The unpleasant odor is something you have to learn to live with... There's no avoiding that.

When I had my 93 hooked to our previous 32' camper, I tried pulling it on straight diesel and on my wmo mix. There was a distinct power increase on the wmo mix, as compared to the straight diesel. The EGT's were a bit higher, but wmo has more BTU's per gallon than diesel does.

Burning too high a percentage of wmo, will cause your truck to run rough and you will not have as much power as a lower percentage.

My best performance on wmo, was roughly 70% wmo and 30% diesel.

These are my personal observations, with my truck. Every truck is different and results may differ. This is what works for me..

Also, I now have a 94 7.3 PSD and have experimented with wmo in it. I've gotten up to a 50/50 measured mix and the truck seems to love it. It runs quieter, has more power and quicker throttle response. I do still have the smoking at idle, but the odor is greatly reduced. I also filter the wmo to at least 5 microns and will be at 1 micron absolute, when the new filters arrive.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
thanks for info, I tried straight WMO and it did okay, it was not as peppy and lack top end power, I like the smoke at idle though. The pump and injector almost have 200,000 miles on them, so I'm planing for pump and injector failure any way. It doesn't like it when its cold so I warm up on diesel and switch it WMO. The front tank is all WMO but its not full so I'll top it off with diesel.

DragRag

Reaction score
You've run 75% in a stroke?

I've run up to 80% in an IDI with success, but only run 50% in the stroke.. Both seem to smoke way too much at idle, but run clear otherwise.

Yes, I used to run 75% all the time for over 1 year in my 01' powerstroke. I got some smoke at idle to, but only if I left the truck running for a while, like if I ran into the store, and didn't shut it off. Stop signs or lights was never long enough to get the smoke up. I started at 50%, went all the way to 80%, and that's when I went back to 75%. I just got to much smoke in my opinion with 80%. It ran fine with that mix, but the smoke factor played in.

InTheDogHouse

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a problem with unpure motor oil? Gonna filter it for particulate matter, but worry about other fluids such as power steering fluid, brake fluid, or some other fluid that was added to the oil. Shouldn't be there, but you never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online