Opinions needed! Ford factory IDI turbo kit

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wastegated turbos usually have a smaller turbine (exhaust side) in order to spool faster at lower RPM.

But because they can be more restrictive at high RPM, they need a waste gate to bypass around the turbo when you are at full load, high RPM. This also prevents that low end boost from balooning to overboost at high RPM. In this way, its easy to control the maximum boost pressure.

Non-wastegated turbos are usually larger sized in order to prevent excess back pressure at high RPM loading. Unfortunately, they don't spool very well unless at high RPM.

Some schools of thought say that non-wastegated is better for towing long distances because you need the higher RPM anyway.

The reason I don't like the 088 on my truck is because I was rarely able to spool more than about 10PSI. I suspect this was deliberate, because you shouldn't really boost more then that on a stock 6.9 IDI anyway. I have decompressed pistons and cylinder head studs though, so...I want more.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Also, because they can be more restrictive, a wastegated turbo will usually hold more heat and transfer it to the fresh air going into the intake.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback, guys! I did offer the seller $300.00 and explained that the first thing I would need to do once I purchased the kit would be to send the turbo off to Russ to be inspected/rebuilt. I told him that I could not just bolt it on and run it. Another person did come along and purchase the kit for the full asking price of $400.00. I am a little disappointed, but I also just saved a bunch of money too! I am just "casually" looking for a turbo kit, as I don't tow a lot, and my rebuilt/recalibrated IP from Russ has given my N/A truck much more power, so it is not a case where I must have a turbo. I will keep watching CL. Thanks again for all the input!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I passed up on an opportunity to purchase a complete factory kit for $800 over a year ago. It was 3 hours away, but I'm still kicking myself to this day.

Lots of IDIs are going through the crusher and the rest seem to be getting hoarded.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I passed up on an opportunity to purchase a complete factory kit for $800 over a year ago. It was 3 hours away, but I'm still kicking myself to this day.

Lots of IDIs are going through the crusher and the rest seem to be getting hoarded.

There certainly are not of IDI powered trucks left around here anymore - most have long rotted away. I am okay if I never have a turbo, so not getting this one isn't a big deal for me. I will keep watching and maybe one will fall out of the sky. I would imagine the kit you passed on was in much better shape than this one appeared to be. Thanks for posting the turbo kit parts diagram by the way - that was very helpful.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'll be fine with N/A for just going up and down the road. Like me, the turbo is a want item, not a need.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might sound dumb but has anyone done a turbo and supercharger build on there engine like Detroit did to there engines. Would and could it be done
Can it be done?sure. Any need to do it? No.

The supercharger on a detroit isn't for boost, it's simply to make the engine run at all - these detroits are two-strokes, and need the forced induction to push out the exhaust gasses and new air in on the bottom half of down-stroke.
An IDI is a 4-stroke, and doesn't /need/ any forced induction at all; the point of the turbo is simply to add more air, for tue ability to burn more fuel.
A Turbo is more effecient power-wise, and can produce more boost than a supercharger can, which is why superchargers aren't commonly used.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am okay if I never have a turbo, so not getting this one isn't a big deal for me. I will keep watching and maybe one will fall out of the sky.

Well, I guess turbo kits do fall out of the sky! Brought this turbo kit home on Saturday, and a turbo motor came with it. It also has the E4OD dipstick tube and dipstick, which I need. Everything is there as far as I can tell, because it is still bolted to the motor. Even has the factory crushed downpipe, although the tab on downpipe (that bolts somewhere to something) has been broken. I bought this from guy that regularly makes a circuit through OK and TX buying trucks and body parts, and specializes in the 1980-1997 trucks. His sheds are full of truck boxes, core supports, cabs, etc. He has no idea on the mileage on the engine, as he said the cluster had been removed when he bought the truck. For all I know, the engine could be trash, but I was after the turbo parts. I paid $450.00 for it all, and figure I can get some of that cost back form selling the serp. drive, oil cooler, IP, fuel lines, heads, flex plate, etc. I will slowly begin the tear down, cleaning and inspection and see what I actually bought.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on someone to rebuild my injectors and IP?
This is the factory equipment off my 1984 6.9. Manual trans.
I does have a Banks turbo.
Thanks

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks
R&D IDI Performance - http://www.idiperformance.com

The question for you is - are you intending on using the truck for towing? If so, invest in a set of head studs. You can then add a bit more fuel and that turbo will give you lots more power. Like... up to 100% more than stock... it's just that the engine will blow head gaskets if you *don't* put the head studs in. Without studs, you can run 6-ish PSI safely and easily, enough for perhaps 25% more than stock(N/A) levels.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks
Russ aka typ4 can rebuild it for you I've seen ppl say he is real good

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of studs. Also taking crank to machine shop this week to get rod journals turned.
Then on to get it line honed and balanced. Finally got all the broken bolts out of the hot side of turbo housing and the two rusted off glow plugs out of the heads. Heads are good and flat just need to run a tap in the GP and injector holes.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I will use for occasional towing probably 7500 - 8000lbs.
Will not be a daily driver just a backup vehicle only to be driven when I need to tow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online