OOOO ****

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The term "pressure release valve" is not a correct term. These oil systems have two valves in them. First off we have the "bypass valve" and thats located on the bottom side of the rear oil cooler head. Thats the head the filter screws onto. Remove the filter and press up on the metal disc but... Oil will be pouring out of it so be ready for it. Now the oil pressure regulating valve is located in that same rear oil cooler header. You must remove it from the engine to get at it. Once the header is off the engine you need a small dremel grinding burr to remove the 4 spiked over aluminum tabs that holds the valve in the header. Go easy here because there isn't much material to work with. When its out of the header you will find it has three pieces. A spring and a sliding valve. Hopefully there is a small piece of gasket material or something holding the valve closed. If you find metal you may have more issues to deal with.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil filter bypass relief is the little round circle to the right in the first pic, the second pic is the pressure relief on the right like ican said. Hopefully you put the correct gasket on that end.

Third pic is the oil system, as you can see from the oil pump ithe oil goes thru the oil cooler first.

What is the brand and part number of the filter you used? Important to know.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we put the 6.9 heads on.6.9 manifolds.6.9 fuel pump.new gaskets.the reason the 6.9 stuff was put on cause the 7.3 stuff was rusted to hell.the manifolds werent even solid.they were eatin buy salt.the truck the 7.3 came out of was a northen truck.4x4 f350 dually is what it came out of.

Putting 6.9 heads on a 7.3 you had to enlarge the head bolt holes.
Did you do that?
What head gaskets did you use, the 6.9 or the 7.3 gaskets?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I can tell you for sure it is the pressure relief in the rear filter header, We put on a used cooler for OnDaRoad and had this exact problem, the parts get rusted from cleaning and then sitting and the plunger sticks. You may not have to take out the parts to fix it but the header will have to come off.
Filter brand makes no difference in this case, Fram still sucks.

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the simplest thing first. Check to see if there is a old filtergasket stuck to the filter base. seen that more than once.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda figured since it was a fresh install they checked that ^^^

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've seen Frams do this on 3.8 Buicks (non-turbo variety) that have next to no oil pressure. Make sure you are using a quality filter and check the valves as has been stated. Also look for particulate (also stated) suck as a chuck of gasket, or worse, metal.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I've seen Frams do this on 3.8 Buicks (non-turbo variety) that have next to no oil pressure. Make sure you are using a quality filter and check the valves as has been stated. Also look for particulate (also stated) suck as a chuck of gasket, or worse, metal.

there wasnt metal in it as far as i no.the filter just stuck shut.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
there wasnt metal in it as far as i no.the filter just stuck shut.
No metal is good news. I'd say check out the valve and make sure it isn't rusted in place as was said. I know we used a solvent at the machine shop that would remove all oil, which isn't bad unless you didn't take things apart and such. We removed all bypass and oil restrictors, galley plugs, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online