Reaction score
killer thread.
:cheers:
i went with a KRC mini pump.
she sure did whine a bit with the front locked in

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have got another can for the pump, this time for a chevelle instead of a c/k. Had someone attempt some welds to atatch some bungs to it for the lines. I have been having a leak from the pump and trying to sort out any possable points of failer.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also got some 90*s to clean up the line but think sould had got a 45* for the pump side.

EDIT: This thing has pinky stearing that is light to the toutch even on the brakes, warnning this is very addictive and will spoil you.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
91 and older IDI vans (and maybe gas ones too?) used Saginaw power steering pumps, so if you ever run across one... the bracket on it will be there for one and getting a pump to fit such vans will line up for IDIs without fabricating stuff. It's a dedicated swiveling bracket that holds the pump. Just putting that out there.

A page talking about it... http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Bronco/Projects/Saginaw_Swap/Saginaw_Swap.html

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 and older IDI vans (and maybe gas ones too?) used Saginaw power steering pumps, so if you ever run across one... the bracket on it will be there for one and getting a pump to fit such vans will line up for IDIs without fabricating stuff. It's a dedicated swiveling bracket that holds the pump. Just putting that out there.

A page talking about it... http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Bronco/Projects/Saginaw_Swap/Saginaw_Swap.html

That is good info and all to be added to this thread, but Im not too interested in a v-belt set up. Yes gas vans did get this pump and even into the serpentine age where I got the pulley Im using, our idi was abandoned by then. My objective here is exploring a path where serpentine can be used, did manage a crude means with scraps that was found at the time. I am looking for a path that is less destructive to the factory bracket with just a simple adaptor, might had found the parts needed for the experiment but would will get to that at a latter date. Digging into it some did find that the first run of this pump is keyed as opposed to being a tapper press fit, this led me to a pulley with a high offest that would alow me to set the pump back some.

https://pitstopusa.com/i-23917455-march-performance-chrysler-bb-ps-pulley.html?ref=category:134697

Last edited:

71 Highboy

Reaction score

I have used saginaw pumps and this bracket for 30 years. no whine .no problems. easy access and readily available.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3-in-core-radiator-jpg.135345

That is a interesting mout of that turbo, Im thinking a pair of hx35w mounted like that somewhat. I have one but still need to find its match at somepoint.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
That is a interesting mout of that turbo, Im thinking a pair of hx35w mounted like that somewhat. I have one but still need to find its match at somepoint.

If you can weld cast iron, it's easy to duplicate with a jig. Two may be overkill unless you are pulling a sled!!!

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can weld cast iron, it's easy to duplicate with a jig. Two may be overkill unless you are pulling a sled!!!

If one is a good size for a 300d, would a engine with a bit over twice the displacement be optimal for two? That is the thought going through my head and would be happy with 300-350hp, yes I know would want a 7.3 with turbo rods for durability. Dose the weld ever faill with the weigh of the turbo or is just fine? I have trouble seeing to weld so have others do it for me, its hit or miss with who I get to do cheap welds.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
That is good info and all to be added to this thread, but Im not too interested in a v-belt set up. Yes gas vans did get this pump and even into the serpentine age where I got the pulley Im using, our idi was abandoned by then. My objective here is exploring a path where serpentine can be used, did manage a crude means with scraps that was found at the time. I am looking for a path that is less destructive to the factory bracket with just a simple adaptor, might had found the parts needed for the experiment but would will get to that at a latter date. Digging into it some did find that the first run of this pump is keyed as opposed to being a tapper press fit, this led me to a pulley with a high offest that would alow me to set the pump back some.

https://pitstopusa.com/i-23917455-march-performance-chrysler-bb-ps-pulley.html?ref=category:134697

check factory gm 's with serpentine accessory drive at salvage yards. cut the center out and weld in your chosen hub/shaft size with correct offset for alignment...

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check factory gm 's with serpentine accessory drive at salvage yards. cut the center out and weld in your chosen hub/shaft size with correct offset for alignment...

Thinking about it and looking over the 454 one, I think a sandwich of seet plates can be made to work. It is for the most part a flat plate stamped with the tensioner only slightly resested over the rest, my pulley for the pump sets it back a bit and could be close to the same plain. That and could use the round a/c as well where all I have to deal with is bolts going one direction, so 2 or 3 sheets with 3 bolt holes for the head. Front plane being tensioner, idlers, a/c and p/s with the second being the back side of the p/s pump. Unsure the thinkness of the a/c vs the p/s, so a third may be needed. Then set the gap of these plates with spacer dowls to lock it all in place.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That bracket is find and all if going for the caned ham, looking in to it some and the stuff could be compacted down some. I like the resovore set up that is done so would like to keep the can I have, blow air in the drain tube and fluid comes out its bleed no if and or buts. There is a different clock to the pump as well so would need that changed, it would not be to hard too just make two plates for the pump to the outer head bolt. I have a ruff start of a front plate for the pump so is a start, back should not be too elaborate like the front.

This tie down plate here would serve some use and serve good between the head bolts and water pump, the aluminum is unneeded bulk since the a/c dose not need to sit that high.

This is a drawing I found with the a/c braket that gose with that tie plate as seen above, as show there is room for the a/c to be moved down. This would leave a back plate that needs made but much to that. So that and get the tensioner and a/c delete idler for the 454 would wrap up the major parts of would be involved. It is a tempting path that would keep me from going to a keyed power steering pump that is a hard find, as @71 Highboy point out readily available should be thought of.