One of my trucks is heading to Alaska!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I had a customer fly in yesterday from Alaska to buy this truck:

http://www.dandlautosales.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=96416376

I picked him up from the Grand Rapids Air Port with it, He drove it back to the lot and bought it, From here he is headed to Ohio to pick up a custom made trailer for his 26' sail boat, then off to New York to pick up the sail boat. Then he is going to visit his parents in Wisconsin, and then back to Alaska towing 10,000 pounds.,.

All without a cell phone, or GPS, in a $4K 20 year old truck that he just bought...From ME!,....More power to him!:hail

He is supposed to let me know when he gets home in a couple of weeks. ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
now that is a road trip! hey thats how they did it in the "old" days before cell phones.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is putting a lot of faith into a truck of it's age. Driving that many miles loaded you almost have to expect some problems if it is your first time even driving the truck. Customers like that worry me, I had a guy buy an old Wet Sleeve tractor engine from me about a year ago and said that he would install it in the next year or so, and I guaranteed it to be a good engine, but I told him that those sleeve sealing rings could dry up if it sits too long without any coolant or anything in it, but he said "No it will be OK". I am dreading a call from him any day if he finally installs the engine and then gets coolant in his oil when he tries to run it, but I know that it was good when I pulled it out, I drove it around to make sure.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets see,

turbo - with INTERCOOLER!!

5 speed,

4.10 gears,

Dually, extra cab (rare),

10 bolt hubs,

rear air bags,

loaded,

She's one sweet towing rig, thats for sure!;Sweet

Too bad its destined to rust away up north.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup that's driving on faith but a good truck roll with!:thumbsup:

Any other dealer I'd worry about, but Darrin gives em a good going over. Plus going that extra mile to make the sale on a holiday too!;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Lets see,

turbo - with INTERCOOLER!!

5 speed,

4.10 gears,

Dually, extra cab (rare),

10 bolt hubs,

rear air bags,

loaded,

She's one sweet towing rig, thats for sure!;Sweet

Too bad its destined to rust away up north.

That is a beauty, probably won't rust away. they don't use much salt in Alaska, it's too cold in most parts to work. Comes a point salt just makes a bigger mess. I don't know what they're doing these days, but they used to just throw gravel on it

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish they would ban road sh- uh, salt completely. We had early, cold winters with lots of snow in the two previous years and all they did was dump more salt on it. Eventually it all turned to nice mirror smooth ice and even the graders were only making it smoother.

I felt 10x safer driving my 2wd truck on 2-8" of hard packed snow than taking the risk of hitting black ice (and yes I did hit black ice too). At least on packed snow, the traction is consistent and the tires can still grab. I was topping out close to 70 MPH on occasion with new highway ribbed tires and the only problem I had was the rear end kicking loose if I was too heavy on the foot on steeper hills.

Plenty of ABS/ESP equipped vehicles in the ditch last year:rotflmao.

People need to learn how to drive.

DragRag

Reaction score
I sent one to the United Kingdom about a year and a half ago. He sent me pics of himself 4 wheelin in the woods with it. I was happy to see that.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's got a better chance of getting to Alaska in that that most would imagine. Quite the cross country trek to be sure though. He'll probably put 5000 miles on it quick. With a full set of guages he should be in good shape. Was that a southern truck Darrin?

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score

Amen, I drive my Chevelle year round, and it gets plenty wet out here I the winter and I always see new cars and trucks on flatbeds that are totaled and flipped and such, my car has a non posi rearend and no ABS and I can't still control it so much better on the wet roads. People need to learn the limitations of their vehicles

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

We say that every year the same time at first snow. Dispatch is working their tails off taking slideoffs and they fear that first snow and get caught working it.

Kinda like that Ron White skit about the airplane crash.

Them guys who forget how to drive and beat the ems there. Everytime!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
He's got a better chance of getting to Alaska in that that most would imagine. Quite the cross country trek to be sure though. He'll probably put 5000 miles on it quick. With a full set of guages he should be in good shape. Was that a southern truck Darrin?

Nope, It was a MI truck that spend a lot of time in Florida, and it was painted a few years ago and had some minor rust but not bad. It was just a good ole taken care of truck.

When he committed to flying in and buying it, I had Bob bring the truck in and put it on the rack and give it a good once over. Changed the oil, Checked for leaks, fixed a small return line leak, top off all of the fluids, check the tires brakes etc. It was actually in pretty good shape for a trip. I all honesty if I am not confident in the truck I would not sell it.

Nice truck. I like the website too.

Thanks ;Sweet My son does the website for me,..

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Darrin

Great deal for $4250. If that was indeed the selling price.;Really That truck got more rust from being in Florida than it'll get in Alaska.

I'm sure he'll have a most enjoyable trip.

Tom