On board battery trickle charger systems

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Ron,

FYI, the Schumacher battery maintainer is designed to be left on all the time. It sense's battery condition of charge and adjusts itself accordingly. No need for a timer. Mine is powered whenever there is 120v powering my motorhome. It is plugged in at home whenever we are not using it and is powered by the generator when it is running.

Jim

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ron,

FYI, the Schumacher battery maintainer is designed to be left on all the time. It sense's battery condition of charge and adjusts itself accordingly. No need for a timer. Mine is powered whenever there is 120v powering my motorhome. It is plugged in at home whenever we are not using it and is powered by the generator when it is running.

Jim
;Sweet
Jim, that's what I'm aiming towards. Tis good I won't need a timer and being able to be plugged in all the time and monitors battery levels is the big plus and being unplugged won't harm the system either.
Time to go to Wally world for some goodies and the electrical supply for a relay.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Is this the item you're talking about?

If so. Sweet..... Made in the USA.:thumbsup:

My question about these is, do they draw enough amps that one couldn't have the battery-maintainer and the block-heater plugged into the same 12-gauge extension cord at the same time??

I would think that the amp-draw of one of these units would be miniscule.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I have one of these.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44768
I set it on the dash above the glove box. It keeps my batteries up.
Sometimes I don't use the truck for several weeks and it always starts after cycling the glow plugs a couple times.
I just leave it plugged into the lighter socket even while driving without problems.

I had the same deal in my truck, maybe my batteries just didn't need it, but i noticed zero change in anything with it. I think a couple watt one would be better than this one watt one.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
It is understandable that you didn't notice much difference with the 1.5 solar charger. That output rating is very optomistic, based upon perfect alignment to the sun with no obstructions in a perfectly clear sky. In the real world not likely. The other problem with those cheap chargers is they are not regulated. Even a 1 amp charger can boil water out of a battery. The new smart charger/maintainers are a great product for a small price.

Jim

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to get "weak battery syndrome" in my trucks as they sometimes sit for up to several months without being driven. The solar chargers, like the Harbor Freight solved the problem. No ifs, ands or buts...it solved it. But I don't live in a snow area and can put a charger on the dash. I also use one for the camper battery.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll second that. I've found it beneficial to keep them topped off while dormant.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well with the single digit to below zero temps headed this way for the weekend. A trip to Wally World is on this afternoons things to do and an installation of the maintainer.:D