On board battery trickle charger systems

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok, I know they put em on the new firetrucks as our new HME has one on it combined with an onboard air recharger system. Once the key is turned into the run position, the plug outlet spits the extension cord out for safety of the somewhat forgetfull.:love:

Anybody used one of these monsters on these trucks or something similar?

This time of year would be nice since I've had low battery/ cold starting issues the past couple of nights. :mad:

The batteries in Goldie are only 2 years old and the charging system is good, just seems that I either have a slow drain or weak batteries. The starter is not quite a year old and is functioning normally.

Having to park it outside right into the wind I'm sure is not helping matters much, just looking for something different.cookoo

Yeah it would be just as easy to grab the portable charger and stick it under the hood but then ya gotta deal with the winter elements getting under there and would create issues at 2 am heading out for an early fire call.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thought, if your truck's parked out in the open, would be to get a solar trickle charger. It's basically a solar cell that goes on your dash, and you plug the cord into your cigarette lighter. IIRC it's mainly marketed for RV's and boats, but it seems to me that it would work just fine on a truck as well.

Take a look here for an example: http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/product11483.html

This way, you don't have to worry about unplugging it...for that matter, your electric bill won't be affected ;Sweet

I've been thinking about getting one for my truck...since the poor thing doesn't see all that much road time (except in the last month, while my car was fouling up :rolleyes: )...

Just a thought :)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my truck it had a little charger for a riding lawnmower under the hood and hooked up to the battery. This was apparently to compensate for the fact that the alternator only worked "sometimes".

I have a little multi outlet extension cord under the hood that the block heater and charger are hooked up to. I figure it can't hurt.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have been thinking of adding one of those little onboard "plug it in the wall" type trickle chargers to my truck.

With three Group 31S batteries, I probably don't need such an animal; but, on very cold mornings, it couldn't hurt to have the juice in the batteries livened up a little.

My only concern would be the possibility of something shorting out and possibly torching the truck in the middle of the night.

I guess some fuses could be employed to kill the power, should such an event take place.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my truck it had a little charger for a riding lawnmower under the hood and hooked up to the battery. This was apparently to compensate for the fact that the alternator only worked "sometimes". I have a little multi outlet extension cord under the hood that the block heater and charger are hooked up to. I figure it can't hurt.

The only problem with that setup is it causes a brownout condition on the charger.

Case and point. I had a ten amp charger hooked up to my rig and a power strip that the charger was plugged into as well as the block heater. The meter on the charger was only reading 2 amps where as before the block heater was plugged in the charger was reading 10 amps output. I then unpluuged the block heater and the amps on the battery charger went back up to 10 amps as soon as the block heater was unplugged. Plugged the bloock heater back in the power strp and the charger went right down to 2 amps.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The only problem with that setup is it causes a brownout condition on the charger.

Case and point. I had a ten amp charger hooked up to my rig and a power strip that the charger was plugged into as well as the block heater. The meter on the charger was only reading 2 amps where as before the block heater was plugged in the charger was reading 10 amps output. I then unpluuged the block heater and the amps on the battery charger went back up to 10 amps as soon as the block heater was unplugged. Plugged the bloock heater back in the power strp and the charger went right down to 2 amps.

Sounds to me like a power strip/extension cord issue. A good 12 ga cord, that is not a mile long and a quality outlet tap should handle that load easily.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of those 2 amp jobbies that I hook up to the Moose Truck. It would be nice though to have it on-board, so I wouldn't have to mess with it all the time. Thing is, directions say not to leave it connected with the 110V cord unplugged. Wouldn't they just put a diode in it so you wouldn't have to worry about that?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You all should look at a marine type charger. They are left in place and used as needed. They wire in, are water/shock proof etc and have two banks for charging each battery. I don't use one, but would bet they would do better. I can't imagine a 2 amp unit doing anything for a dual battery system.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it seems to do the job rather well over the course of a few days. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I've been googling systems from $17.00 all the way up to $350.00:confused:
Man I didn't think there was such a wide variety. I think I'm more confused now that before.
I must say that the marine units are on the top side but the units themselves looks a wee bit big to stuff under the hood.

On top of it, if I go with a 120v on board system, where to drill the big freakin hole in the fresh paint to put the plug ejector.:puke:

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
I've always wondered what it would take to put a onboard setup into a pickup. LOL LOL Kussmaul Auto-ejects are a standard option pretty much on Seagrave.... customer picks what they want on (air, battery, block heater, etc.).

On my next truck, I have planned to go the aftermarket bumper route (Runel or something similar) and figured I'd mount the Kussmauls there. Havent given it a full runaround on thinking though. just an idea thats been floating in my head.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i you are planning on leaving a charger on the batteries i was told to use one with a floating circuit that can sense the charge and back off when the batteries are topped off. a manual charger will just keep trying to force the amps in whether the battery is full or not and cause problems if you leave it there.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Go to Walmart. They have a Schumacher 1.5a permenant mount battery maintainer for about $20.00. I have one on my Motorhome. Works great and the batteries are always ready to go and they don't use water.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas here.

Well it looks like the permanent mounted battery maintainer is gonna be my selection.
I like the ideas of the solar powered plug in types(plug and play;Sweet ), but location here and snowfall may be a big drawback since the truck sets out in the elements and the charger may not work it's best with the truck covered in snow.
No Mel I don't have jammies for her yet. Omar the tent maker hasn't got back with a price quote yet. LOL

I quickly ruled out the auto eject systems due mainly to cost(What I really wanted :angel:)

So after talking with oldmisterbill yesterday, he suggested the use of a 120v relay setup to tie in the block heater then using a timer and also wiring up a motorcycle type charger into the truck in a round about nutshell then both would be on timers. :thumbsup:

oldmisterbill, was a pleasure talkin with ya yesterday. Remember next Flint run give me a shout and we'll have to make some time for a little shindig at the homestead and maybe get a few other of the oilburners down and make a day of it.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin