On a Carrier pump screen/filter which way does the diesel flow?

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I am cleaning mine in kerosene then brake cleaner then blowing it out with compressed air, so my question is which way would I blow it out if I wanted to be blowing in the reverse direction of the fuel flow?

Reaction score
On a single-layer metal mesh filter, you don't really need to concern yourself with blowing it back out the opposite direction. That's more for multi-layer filters, especially those that use fiberglass or some other dense media.

Best thing for it would be a quick run in an ultrasonic cleaner, if you have one. Otherwise, what you're doing is fine regardless of the direction you choose.

Mike

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All filters, no matter what kind of media, the flow is from the outside to inside.

Reaction score
All filters, no matter what kind of media, the flow is from the outside to inside.

Not technically true. You don't see a lot of them (especially in automotive applications), but inside-out flow filters do exist. Assuming the filter design uses a core, these style filters are easy to spot becuase the core is on the OUTSIDE of the media, not the inside.

Mike

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Not technically true. You don't see a lot of them (especially in automotive applications), but inside-out flow filters do exist. Assuming the filter design uses a core, these style filters are easy to spot becuase the core is on the OUTSIDE of the media, not the inside.

Mike

Thanks for the insight Mike, I assume this type of filter would not have a round shape? More oval maybe? or one end smaller and the other end of the oblong shape larger? Just a life-time learning kind of question. I suppose it could be round? Then one would have to identify it only by looking at it while it was not attached to a vehicle? (Media to one side and pipe plug to the other? Or it might have a clear bowl like the Carrier?) Are the filters you speak of common in tractor, log splitter or other small hydraulics?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i always find i need to spray it from both directions to get it cleaned.it's not a filter,it's simply a pre-filter screen.you'll know when it's as clean as new as you can clearly see all the wholes in it.you can't go wrong rinsing it out.i always use engine degreaser or carb cleaner.either cleans it right out nice.i never worry about putting it right back wet.what little is left will burn as fuel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On our pumps we use its outside to inside. Thats why we can see the dirt settle at the bottom of the bowl.

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Mike, I assume this type of filter would not have a round shape? More oval maybe? or one end smaller and the other end of the oblong shape larger? Just a life-time learning kind of question. I suppose it could be round? Then one would have to identify it only by looking at it while it was not attached to a vehicle? (Media to one side and pipe plug to the other? Or it might have a clear bowl like the Carrier?) Are the filters you speak of common in tractor, log splitter or other small hydraulics?

The shape really wouldn't be any different. It just has the core on the outside of the media is all.

My background with filters is more on the manufacturing end. I worked as a Manufacturing Engineer for a filter manufacturer, specifically for the department that made the disposable cartridges. Our stuff was mostly used in the aerospace industry, though we did some commercial stuff as well. That being said, I wasn't a Design Engineer, so I could only speculate as to why someone would design the filter to work 'backwards' (inside out). My guess would be for additional dirt holding capacity since the filter should be able to handle a larger pressure differential given the larger surface area of the core that the media would be pushing against as it loaded up with dirt. That's just a guess, though. The old joke with Manufacturing Engineers is that I don't need to know how the dang thing works, just how to build it, lol.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

You must be registered for see images

Now, all that being said, the reason you don't need to worry about which way to blow out the media on the Carrier unit is because it's not really a filter as much as it is a strainer. It's basically screen door material, just with smaller apertures. With conventional filter media (cellulose, fiberglass, etc), the concern is that you may further embed the dirt in the media if you don't go that right way. With mesh, there's nothing to embed into, other than MAYBE clogging an opening or two.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.