Old style Banks Turbo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I found this setup on scambay. I have a few questions:
1) I see there is already 1 bid...I don't want to snipe anyone else here, so if a brother is bidding on it please identify yourself! 2) Does anyone have any experience with these units, are they good, bad ugly? 3) How bad does it clutter up your engine bay, with respect to glowplug access injectors etc? 4) Can I get parts from banks or teh aftermarket if i need to? Here it is
Item number: 290033669593
Thanks,
J.D.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Link

Looks like he hacked up the down pipe to get it apart.
I run the same unit with a different style air box.....PITA with that airbox getting to the top of the motor.:puke:
Just gotta take the air box out to work on the top side.
Tis a good unit if'n yer wanting some more power.;Sweet
Parts can still be acquired from Banks.....gaskets? If ya have a local diesel shop check there first.....mucho cheaper!

Good luck

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
JD,
It looks like everything is all there.
Only downfall is the PO cut the downpipe to get things apart.
Banks does carry the replacement parts for these dinosaurs still.;Sweet
One thing ya might want to ask the seller is what transmission he was using it with.
Reason being, the up-pipe/crossover tubing I found is trans specific.
I acquired one that was setup with an E4OD and I had to modify the up-pipe to work with the ZF.
Other that that 65k on the clock, filter looks good yet and at $550.00 I say go for it.:thumbsup:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Looks complete to me. Same basic design as my IDI . I put over 100K on mine and still going strong. I would get a new down pipe, and inspect the y/ up pipes closely. Like Ron said, Banks still make pieces and parts, but they are quite fond of them $$$$$ vThe air filter would be one of th efirst things to go. They tend to schrink from the heat of th eengine and tend not to seal well after time. SO either replace it with another KN(from Banks) or pug the hole inthe bottom of the airbox and use an open filter element before entering the airbox.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
So does that mean I need a new downpipe or could I somehow spilce it back together? Thanks,
J.D.

Ya could weld it back up but that tubing is pretty thin. If'n it was me, I just skip the hassle and grab a new one. You'll still be money ahead of a new one.

Like Gruss said on the filter if ya chose to keep the Banks one and needs replacing, the part number for it is cast on the inside of the air box but also snag the filter height as I ended up buying Darrin a new on for his truck.:rolleyes:
The filter boxes do vary in height we noticed.:mad:

Which reminds me....Gotta get mine cleaned for the snow flies.:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7