Old School driving lesson #2

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COOL!! I saved it, now its next to the other one, prettty soon I'll have a box set ;Sweet ;Sweet

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Not much more fancier stuff to do now? If I had enough load and long enough hill I could work on the downshift part....but around here even with my trailer I don't drop more than 1-2 gears at most. Ya, it's got that much power..... :rotflmao NOT!!!!!!!! Just not enough hill(not that anyone would want more).

If you guys want some more twin stick video stuff to watch. Check Long Road Productions online. Lindsay makes some really neat videos involving the ATHS members and their trucks. I've got the full set, including his newest "twin stick" driving DVD. Some good winter time watching ;Sweet

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Freightrain said:
Ok, posted this other places, but thought maybe some of you guys might not see it.

http://fords.kilonet.org/freightrain/bride1.wmv

Just me out playin with B model and new camcorder :draw

Hmmmm,that doesn't look like it is TOO hard.Actually looks easier than those POS freightliners I moved around the yard when I used to work at Osborn Transport.I do have a buddy that used to drive one of those Old B models(his was a 55)He told me he managed to get both trannys in Neutral once....

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Ya, you can get both in Neutral. Not a real issue though. Those old stories of stopping on a hill and staring over.................BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period. Just old truck driver stories to make the job sound harder LOL!!

Ya, I used to get them both in neutral when I first started driving (and learning the sequence of events). Just slow down a touch, pull the main back into the lower gear again and then play with RPM til the compound drops back into OD again. No rocket science but that's how to do it. Lord knows I USED to have that problem occasionally.

Granted, it's not HARD to two hand, but you have to know what you're doing or you will end up grinding 100K miles off the teeth LOL!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
You have gotta come to the July 4th Rally in Chattanooga.Granted,it is a Ford IDI event but I think we can make an exception for you.As for the back,ehhh,try driving a Deuce and a half down a jeep trail for 4 hours straight and then finding out you cannot disengage the clutch due to the Throwout bearing locking up and burning the arms off the pressure plate and melting about 1/4" off the iron body behind the bearing itself.Thank God these things have a STRONG starter!

MMeier

Reaction score
So whats that thing actually have, 15 forward speeds or... I would love to try my hand(s) at that some day!! ;Sweet

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its called a quad box! 4 or 5 fullgears and 3 splts for each I beleive and 3 in reverse!Can't remember!Give him the story Train.
you have to have that many gears the engine is pretty low on juice and not much working range.
We just repaired one of these in the shop two weeks back Ya can still get parts for em!I was amazed.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Actually I made the local IDI(BOOB) meet this past summer. I made a one day appearance and hung out for the day. Had a great time. No real time for driving lessons though LOL . I've been a member of FOKISD for a number of years now, but sold my PSD back in '02. I'm still "allowed" to hang out with the guys as long as I bring one of my hot rod toys :rotflmao

My truck has a Triplex(15 spd) box in it. There were Duplex's(10 spd), tri's and Quads(20). The only difference is the number of "compound" gears you can split with. The only advantage of the Quad was a lo/lo gear for really creeping around. There were also variations of all, with either single or double overdrive which then also made some gears repetitive and not usable. So you have 20 gears, but only 18 usable gears since a couple were the same. See what I mean? With this you have 3 reverse gears too.

Some of the newer (well like in the 80's)Mack tranny's had air shift Rev so you have 5-6 reverse gears(shift to Rev and use all the forward gears).

It's fun to play with, and I usually skip along the gears when bobtailing. As Fred said...LOW power, narrow powerband keeps you moving the handles around if you're loaded. My truck/trailer combo is around 27K lbs, so I'm not real heavy, but with only 170 hp...it's a bit slow sometimes. It will run 63~ mph on level roads.

My tranny is pretty loose. I put a few gallons of Lucas in it to help "tighten" it up a bit. It rattles and grinds pretty bad in neutral after a long 8 hr drive(heck 1 hr for that matter). Some day I'll do something to help it....

MMeier

Reaction score
Freightrain said:
Actually I made the local IDI(BOOB) meet this past summer. I made a one day appearance and hung out for the day. Had a great time. No real time for driving lessons though LOL . I've been a member of FOKISD for a number of years now, but sold my PSD back in '02. I'm still "allowed" to hang out with the guys as long as I bring one of my hot rod toys :rotflmao

My truck has a Triplex(15 spd) box in it. There were Duplex's(10 spd), tri's and Quads(20). The only difference is the number of "compound" gears you can split with. The only advantage of the Quad was a lo/lo gear for really creeping around. There were also variations of all, with either single or double overdrive which then also made some gears repetitive and not usable. So you have 20 gears, but only 18 usable gears since a couple were the same. See what I mean? With this you have 3 reverse gears too.

Some of the newer (well like in the 80's)Mack tranny's had air shift Rev so you have 5-6 reverse gears(shift to Rev and use all the forward gears).

It's fun to play with, and I usually skip along the gears when bobtailing. As Fred said...LOW power, narrow powerband keeps you moving the handles around if you're loaded. My truck/trailer combo is around 27K lbs, so I'm not real heavy, but with only 170 hp...it's a bit slow sometimes. It will run 63~ mph on level roads.

My tranny is pretty loose. I put a few gallons of Lucas in it to help "tighten" it up a bit. It rattles and grinds pretty bad in neutral after a long 8 hr drive(heck 1 hr for that matter). Some day I'll do something to help it....
:thumbsup: :cheers:

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
The Two Stick Method!

Hey Larry!

I never learned that two hand method! I do all of that same stuff with one hand! On the old tri-plex. My dad was a truck driver from way back and taught me to drive the old girl some 30 yrs. ago though. He would have been 79 last month! I guess I'm probably a little partial, but I like to think that I learned from the best! I'm sure that your supposed to think that about your dad though too! Never driven the quads only tris and dups... There's nothing like playin with the old two sticks is there? I got to admit though - I do like my 18 spd. Roadranger too!

Hoss.... ;Sweet

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
It's taken me a couple years before I got a "handle" on it LOL!!!
It's not really hard, but you just have to find your way to do it. That's the thing about every truck is different, every tranny shifts different. I was a ONE hand'r til last summer, when I really started to work on the two handed stuff. Now it's second nature.

rickgmi

Reaction score
The old 5/4 hav'nt ran one of those in years, had them on the old dumps i played with for awhile

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726