IH bus engine in 95

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok all, I have had terrible luck with my 95 F350. I have blown 2 engines in 2 years. I did install a PHP with canned tunes a couple of years before the first engine had problems but it stayed on the 50hp tune. I don't think I ever put it in the highest tune even once. Here's the kicker, I don't drive like a teenager, I have never spun the tires, I have pulled with it twice!, and I tend to drive like a grandpa. First engine had 350,000 on the clock when it got pulled because of sloppily injectors, bad injector cups, and other issues. I know they were fixable but I found a 200,000 engine that ran great for pennies.
That engine started blowing white/blue after a year or so. Ended up cracking the cylinder wall vertically and allowing coolant intrusion.
So, I now have a 100,000 mile IH T444 in the truck from a 2001 school bus. I installed it with a PHP with a JeliBuilt tube for the different injectors. After I ran the truck it was very anemic. It had way less power and throttle response than my old engine did. Being a SD engine I would have thought it would run somewhat better with the slightly larger injectors if a SD. So I contacted the supplier and Brian @ Jelibuilt directly and told them the issues. They sent what seems to be the biggest tune they had (which isn't what I wanted, I just wanted it to run well). It is called street ripper or something like that.
Now the truck is still fairly anemic and now smokes like a teenager "rolling coal". I detest this condition as it draws too much attention and derision.
Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? I figured maybe I didn't explain the situation to Brian well enough and he wrote me a tune that didn't suit, being that it's a SD engine from a school bus.
I need help. Thanks!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What engine did you get from the bus? T444E or T466E ? The bus engine might have single injectors, running SD controls need split shot injectors.

Low fuel pressure can make it run like a dog too.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I've driven the truck more I have to change my story. It runs well and has a lot of power but it smokes like crazy.
The engine is a t444e. And I had the tunes written for splits because that's what everyone said this engine should have.
The tune written by Brian @ Jelibuilt makes it run like a ***** ape but it smokes sooo much.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I've driven the truck more I have to change my story. It runs well and has a lot of power but it smokes like crazy.
The engine is a t444e. And I had the tunes written for splits because that's what everyone said this engine should have.
The tune written by Brian @ Jelibuilt makes it run like a ***** ape but it smokes sooo much.
Can you run it with stock tuning to see if in fact it is the programming causing the smoke and not something wrong with the engine? If the smoke is black it could be overfueling in the programming.

FWIW on my 99, I get the best fuel economy on the highest tune setting with a light foot... probably due to advanced timing and additional fuel causing the most efficient burn at light throttle. Any throttle position that creates black smoke is literally fuel dollars going up in smoke... with $6/gal diesel around here that adds up fast!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now I am wondering if my t444e has AC injectors which are single shots. From research, t444e is either AC or AD so maybe that's part of the prob? I'm gonna pull the valve covers this weekend and verify which one I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online

No members online now.