ok then, BACK TO THE 1200hp IDI

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
racin i agree even though youre nmb2 incognito with a different ip adress man nmb2 is good he can do a cummins swap so fast you cant see it happen on video now he can defy the laws of physics

brdmh44 just pm me im not starting this with deep****** see im not mentioning names even just hinting at the deeply rooted cause of the recent issues mel has a good product its reiable and all just not a power monster its a tuned up stock pump and thats great to get life out of
ken has had a good power pump for a while check the tds archives before everyone ran ken off there like the tree is tryint to do to us four me racin and nmb2 but whos number 4?????????????????? anyone know this ??????????????
also hit the bann button you can find me on fte and tds with the same username just less cause theres no little kids there trying to make a big deal out of nothing so all yall thanking deep roots y dont you thank me for trying to keep this thread about the 1200hp idi not my own rescherch and other not 1200 hp related stuff the op asked about the 1200 hp idi not my junk i got laying around

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my testing found on a 7.3 the precup is 20 cc of air space with a gp and a injector installed. I filled the precup with water from a syringe through the port untill full. the intake port is 195 cc plus or minus 2cc based on my testing the ports are just a little differant from each other, the exhaust port is 122 plus or minus 1cc. this was done with a lightly greased valve seat to keep it from leaking during the test. the intake valve pocket with a valve closed was 6cc. Exhaust was 3cc with this data and the aprox compressed head gasket of .062 The depression on the top of the piston is 7cc I put the data into the engine analyser program and to get 21.41 to 1 I needed the piston to be .014 above deck. I ran several tests and found that for every cc of space added to the chamber lowered the compression .47 Dropping the piston top .010 (like the decked block pistons) the compression droped 1.2 to 1 Now there is one point to be made the program can calculate with or withought the area above the rings I chose to run withought, Because that info is based on piston fit to the bore and distance from the top of the piston and the top ring. I don't have that info so I didn't use that calc. I agree with 88beast there has to be a point where you will need to open up the precup hole. I just don't Know how you will find this out without building a engine and dyno it. Then pull the heads and open up the precup ports and reassemble and retest on the dyno. My work on a new cam profile has hit a snag. The stock vave springs will float at aprox 3400 rpm With 15 psi boost. So to use my new cam I will need to use higher pressure springs. I have found some springs from comp that will fit without machine work on the heads. so I think I will be ok. Still working on getting my prototype cam ground so I can test fit in the engine. then I will put out the info on this new profile. Its my busy time of year so I havent spent that much time on this in a couple weeks.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
racer 30 somebody else knows for sure, but I was thinking some big block chevy stuff works on the valve train. Keepers and springs maybe? Please keep us posted on what you come up with. I could be completely off here. Just trying to help.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I think the theory about these things getting old and the performance outfits switching toward serving the newer equipment holds a lot of water. i remember quite clearly when I first bought my truck that Summit even carried a performance cam for an IDI , but the thing used SOLID lifters! Great for pinpoint tuning and maximizing air intake, but a giant step backwards for longevity over the stock hydraulic roller lifters so it made it unsuitable for a daily driver. They stopped carrying the things a couple of years ago, although I imagine whatever grinder that was supplying them probably still makes them ( unless they were the guys who went out of business there a couple of years back after forever )

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lot of good info popping up, just wish there was more out there. i've been searching alott myself but info seems scarce. i wonder if the truck still exists??????????????

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
racin i agree even though youre nmb2 incognito with a different ip adress man nmb2 is good he can do a cummins swap so fast you cant see it happen on video now he can defy the laws of physics

brdmh44 just pm me im not starting this with deep****** see im not mentioning names even just hinting at the deeply rooted cause of the recent issues mel has a good product its reiable and all just not a power monster its a tuned up stock pump and thats great to get life out of
ken has had a good power pump for a while check the tds archives before everyone ran ken off there like the tree is tryint to do to us four me racin and nmb2 but whos number 4?????????????????? anyone know this ??????????????
also hit the bann button you can find me on fte and tds with the same username just less cause theres no little kids there trying to make a big deal out of nothing so all yall thanking deep roots y dont you thank me for trying to keep this thread about the 1200hp idi not my own rescherch and other not 1200 hp related stuff the op asked about the 1200 hp idi not my junk i got laying around
if you like to be the next "martyr".....step forward.
I'll be more than happy to accomodate.;Sweet
anybody else who feels the urge to be banned, step forward and take it like a man. there's no need for taking potshots while trying to pretend you hold the "holy grail" to the secrets of making these motors "go fast".

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a response to the hybrid DS4/DB2 pump idea......
Ideas on the DB2/DS4 hybrid pump conversion, that is old news. My pump guy attempted this for me back in 1998. while the pump held promise of higher rate and volume of fuel delivery, the pump failed within two weeks of road testing. the combination of pump, larger diameter lines and modified injectors was used. nutty performance takes a backseat to reliability in my needs, so I dropped the idea since it was my $$$ and machine shop time was being used.
I've seen another approach years later by a tractor puller running a GM 6.2/6.5 motor. He solved the fuel volume problem by running twin DB2 pumps. this keeps the pump shaft torque within tolerable levels. I snapped pump shafts while road testing.
here's his vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwFWNReCmck

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
i like that, had to put it in my sig. never toched the stuff, never plan to. ;Sweet

I actually stole that from another member on here....

a response to the hybrid DS4/DB2 pump idea......
Ideas on the DB2/DS4 hybrid pump conversion, that is old news. My pump guy attempted this for me back in 1998. while the pump held promise of higher rate and volume of fuel delivery, the pump failed within two weeks of road testing. the combination of pump, larger diameter lines and modified injectors was used. nutty performance takes a backseat to reliability in my needs, so I dropped the idea since it was my $$$ and machine shop time was being used.
I've seen another approach years later by a tractor puller running a GM 6.2/6.5 motor. He solved the fuel volume problem by running twin DB2 pumps. this keeps the pump shaft torque within tolerable levels. I snapped pump shafts while road testing.
here's his vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwFWNReCmck

Holy sweet fuel supply Batman!!!!!! That is just plain bucknasty.....Did he have the pumps run belt driven off the engine itself? I couldn't quite tell.

Some people will always rub others the wrong way, that's just the way life is. You've just got to learn to grow a thick skin and buck up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people will always rub others the wrong way, that's just the way life is. You've just got to learn to grow a thick skin and buck up.
i agree.
but I also have a responsibility to keep the peace around here too. this nonsense with NMB2 and his minions have gone on long enough and I'm getting complaints. therefore, something has to be done.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
psd valve springs fit i tested that and someone else ran numbers etc to see howd they would work and theyd do good
racer remember what i pmed you about rockers im going to try that idea here soon when i get into my garage and can have the truck down for a week
lots of bbc stuff can be made to fit and work out
twin db2s is cool but not too practical because of having 2 pumps one fails youre at half fuel supply

im even working on a kit for a p pump conversion in 3d right now

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i guess my question is why go to the trouble of modifying a P-pump to fit our engine when no one has been able to use all the fuel that a moose or the "super moose" will put out (which are bolt on modified DB2's)

and no im not trying to start a ******* match. its an honest question.

and tom...man you really need to work on your punctuation and sentence structure. your posts are almost painful to read lol

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I like the dual DB2 idea, for that very reason... if one fails, you've still got enough fuel supply to get you down the road... :dunno

The PSD guys do that with the HPOP's - run them in stages back to back for higher injection pressure.

I think it's very much like towcat pointed out - there are certainly opportunities for making these engines breathe fire and such, but just like with anything else (psd, cummins, etc...) there are going to be risks from pushing the envelope. Stuff's going to break on you, end of story.

If it were me, and I had a truck I could build up strictly for track runs and for showing off, and I had the time, I would love to build up a fire-breathing IDI. But the reality is, there are simpler, less time consuming ways of getting those high torque numbers... I personally am interested in what Heath is pulling off with the DT466. That engine is made for laying down the nuts, same as the DT360, hell they've got to be since they were hauling my big-kid ass around when I was in the school bus. cookoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online