Ok, Old School Guys, C6 Torque Converter question,..

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I realize that you cant do a Lock Up converter on a C6, however the TCI Maximizer is advertised that it acts more like a Lock Up type, Here is a the desciriptoin:

The TCI fuel-efficient Maximizer Torque Converters are designed to reduce the slippage found in all non lock-up torque converters. This series of torque converters enables transmissions to run cooler and reduces engine RPM at highway speeds. In addition to the resulting fuel mileage increases, the Maximizer Torque Converter also lowers transmission temperature by as much as 20° F. This is an excellent choice for motor homes, tow vehicles and other heavy load applications.

They also have a stall speed of 1600 to 2000 according to their specs.

The BD Torque Converter has the is advertised as with the same type of verbiage:

On the street, you’ll notice that fluid stall or coupling speed is reduced significantly, resulting in more positive engagement in drive, enhanced low-speed drivability and better fuel economy. You’ll appreciate that the TorqForce is designed to handle up to 900 lb.-ft of torque

So essentially that is the as close to "lock Up" that you can get with a C6, That is what I am looking for. My Oregon Performance was advertised as a Low Stall Diesel Converter but said nothing about being a tighter overall converter like these 2 are. I am just sick of accelerating, watching the RPS.s pop up 500, and the truck catching up to that speed, It is just a Soppy Converter. and That is what I want to improve upon when I get this new trans in this winter.

Back to the original question, Has anyone had real world experience with these converters, that advertise as more of a lock up type?

It appears that the PDQ Torque Converters are good quality, and low stall but they dont say anything about better fluid coupling, that is why I asked if they Felt Tighter than stock, or others that have been used. I will call them today and pick their brain.

A lower stall speed would make the converter tighter. A real tight converter will give you a "lock up" feel.

A better fluid coupler is just a better pump.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be changing mine in the dually to an ultra low stall from oregon. Ill report when done. The one in there now has a 7 tp 800 flash.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks to Brianedwardss, I have decided that I am going with the BD Diesel Torque Converter.

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-8229-bd-power-ford-69l73l-c6-torque-converter-1030220.aspx

I picked his brain for info since he has used the BD Torque converters, and here is his experience:

Good to hear from ya. Hope things are going well for ya.

Regarding a performance C6 torque converter with a valve body upgrade, I'll be honest, now that I've experienced it.. I wouldn't do without!

I would say the BD was about 98 1/2% lockup on average when on the highway. Stock was almost 50 rpm more at hwy speeds. I don't think any C6 converter is a true lockup.

But the real reason I love it: the overall driving experience. Push on the go pedal, and you just go! It's instant. Everything feels so much tighter and responsive. I'm not a big burnout guy, I like smooth diesel power and motor sound. The torque converter upgrade along with better valve body made the whole truck drive like a newer vehicle. Warning tho, in the rain you'll spin a tire more often.

A couple years ago I got the standard-cab short-bed 4x4 6.2L diesel in my sig, and right away put a good torque converter and upgraded valve body stuff, and it did the exact same thing to it. I didn't go all out, just 'better' than stock stuff. At the freeway ramp lights, when its my turn, bam I'm on the move and getting up to speed. No more revving and having to really push on the pedal. Someone trying to cut ya off and you need to suck up the gap? A little more down on the go pedal and the gap is closed, no having to floor it and shift down, all the engines power is getting used right then and there without a bunch of noise and shifting

Now as a waiver, I'm not saying it's gonna be a sports car, but if all u did to a truck was a install a better converter and improve the valve body, it'd feel like a different truck. I've been surprised at the difference both times.

Your results may vary, but if you have the funds, I'd say go for it.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear, and exactly what I want out of my next trans. Planning on getting it done this winter, I may be able to get it done before snow flies but either way I will post back with results.

Thanks to all and to Brianedwardss for the input!

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTT, I'm going to rebuild my C6 soon and think I'll pic up the BD unit. I don't see many other options.

PDQ doesn't give much info about their converters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online