oily and rusty injectors

bubbahzanetti

Reaction score
Hello, I'm changing the injectors in my 7.3 and two of the old ones came out with rusty gunk on the sides of the injectors running up to just under the threads. Two others had oily burnt residue on the sides. All the old injectors were pretty clean at the tips. The truck has 169K on it. It's a 88 non turbocharged model. What is that stuff??? I'm hoping "fix a flat" will fix it! LOL
BZ

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
any way to "seal" it? on my 6.9 1 of the bottom halves of the injectors was seized in the head, i had forgotten about it untill they were back from the machine shop, i ground off the threads for the head, put the injector "together" then pried it out. it was crusty and a mess in there, i used a little dental pick and lots of brake clean but i finally got it clean.

-Jon

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
any way to "seal" it? on my 6.9 1 of the bottom halves of the injectors was seized in the head, i had forgotten about it untill they were back from the machine shop, i ground off the threads for the head, put the injector "together" then pried it out. it was crusty and a mess in there, i used a little dental pick and lots of brake clean but i finally got it clean.

-Jon

Antiseize compound on the injector threads and they'll come right out next time

----------Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That crust you describe is not uncommon. Keeping water out of the engine compartment is the best thing to do. A common problem is the hood to cowl seal leaks on a lot of trucks, and lets water drip on the motor. Replace and seal the cowl.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
RLDSL the INJECTOR stuck in the head, the threads loosened easily!! :eek:

Agnem i think the only one with the crud was the driver side rear injector, go figure..:dunno

-Jon

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL the INJECTOR stuck in the head, the threads loosened easily!! :eek:

Agnem i think the only one with the crud was the driver side rear injector, go figure..:dunno

-Jon

If the injector was stuck, was it carbon buildup where the tip goes through that was hanging it up?

-------Robert

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
it was packed with black... yea carbon i guess, from the tip to the threads. the "bottom" unthreaded and the top half came right out, all the hot tanking and macine work later and DUH I FORGOT IT! so i took the top, ground the big threads off and threaded it to the little ones, few twists turns and pop, out it came. the stuff left behind was like a carbon buildup, i had to use a pick to chip it away and a whole can of cleaner to clean the injector hole, precup, and glowplug hole out. :rolleyes:

-Jon