OIL PRESSURE

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low, 10-15 hot idle, 40 hot going down the road.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats about what it is... These oil pumps push out 18.2 gallons per minute... Thats plenty of volume to work these engines hard...

smokin90

Reaction score
i put a manual gauge on it today had it running for about 5 mins before i did and the pressure was 45psi and reved it up to 1500-2000 and it went to 60psi

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i put a manual gauge on it today had it running for about 5 mins before i did and the pressure was 45psi and reved it up to 1500-2000 and it went to 60psi
If that was on a cold engine, that sounds normal...if that's on a hot engine, either you've got amazingly good pressure or something's up with the gauge.

I need to get a decent gauge on my truck...I have a mechanical gauge, but it's saying that I'm sitting at about 35 psi (or a hair lower) at 65...I'm hoping it's just a low quality gauge and not indicating that I have a problem...

smokin90

Reaction score
If that was on a cold engine, that sounds normal...if that's on a hot engine, either you've got amazingly good pressure or something's up with the gauge.

I need to get a decent gauge on my truck...I have a mechanical gauge, but it's saying that I'm sitting at about 35 psi (or a hair lower) at 65...I'm hoping it's just a low quality gauge and not indicating that I have a problem...

yea it was on a cold engine

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about 35psi running down the road. Where is your gauge plumbed in? I found more oil pressure when I moved the sender to the port near the bellhousing and oil cooler. It doesn't matter on a N/A as much but the turbo is a big oil consumer so you'll scare yourself with unusually low readings if it's close to the top of the engine or so I have read.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
on mine its COLD - 47 idle, 60-70 driving. HOT- 20 idle, 45 driving

This is measured on a S-W mechanical gauge fed off a line "tee-d" into the factory location

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hey new member here.
So with an idi with the stock sender on the bellhousing like you mentioned. When a guy wants to put in a mechanical gauge, do you simply remove the sendor and screw in the aftermarket fitting and run the line to the gauge?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey new member here.
So with an idi with the stock sender on the bellhousing like you mentioned. When a guy wants to put in a mechanical gauge, do you simply remove the sendor and screw in the aftermarket fitting and run the line to the gauge?
To keep my OE gauge functioning I left the sender, plumbed in a sideways (T) fitting and attached my mechanical line to it coming out the side.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
To keep my OE gauge functioning I left the sender, plumbed in a sideways (T) fitting and attached my mechanical line to it coming out the side.

this is how I did it as well. IIRC its 1/4"NPT. What i did do in addition is I put a ball valve coming off the side of the tee. I have my gauges set up under the dash and if the gauge (either the oil or the fuel gauges) and or tubing ever fail then I can just close the valve and continue driving. I aint worried about oil getting on my rubber floor mat, its just an old work truck and my boots could use an oiling anywaysLOL. What concerned me was if I didnt have the valve and the gauge sprung a leak, I would have to call a wrecker b/c the engine would pump all the oil out of the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online