oil pressure gauge

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
back on land!

working swing engineer as a new rotation. 2weeks on one boat, 2weeks on another, 2 weeks home.
first boat I show up to (tug trevor), engineer says it runs great. He goes home, I replace 4 injectors and two cylinder heads...
next boat (tug Robert), engineer says there is a knock, #8 outboard, PortMain Engine and coolant is overflowing.
The "knock" was a head bolt hitting the valve cover.... He had used old headbolts and one broke (he didn't feel like fessing up, instead he went home and smiled as he left). Grrrr... tap, rethread kit in place. Cylinder head replaced. Fire it up in Camden NJ, I call Port Engineer to let him know the crankcase is smoking like a motherf*cker. He says run with it, we needed to be in Norfolk Virginia like yesterday. So 5 hours out the engine locks up, all the coolant pukes outta the airbox drains. Can't bar engine over by hand... block is cracked bad and all rods in the neighborhood are bent.

so while limping into Baltimore (thats as far as we got) the hydraulic steering ram comes loose. (to review) one engine, no steering, captain is getting a little sweaty, I'm trying to tack weld the hydraulic cylinder back to the rudder shaft while underway and towing a VERY large floating crane. fun... Bout like living with a chimpanzee with an ***.

Ever pull a 16 cylinder detroit through two decks and replace it? heheehe.
hell of a first week on a new boat
so happy to be home.

my question: we got a bunch of gauges replaced for the new engine, I brought home an old engine oil pressure gauge, electric with sending unit.
I know I can use the current sending unit location behind #8 cylinder, but is there anywhere else I can tap into? prefereably in the front of the engine?

thanks
Drew

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. Go under the truck and on the drivers side right at the bell housing flange you will seean 1/8th inch pipe plug. This is the main oil galley port. Banks uses this port for the turbo oil feed line. If your block is a turbo block this and all the other oil ports will be 1/4 inch.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope and pray your pipe plug wasn't siezed as bad as mine was. I eventually got it out, but by the time I did it was round, and in the death grip of a very expensive pair of vice grips. My first mistake was listening to the snap-on guy who sold me an 8 point socket set for $79. I told him I wanted a 4 point, and he swore up and down nobody sold them, and that I wouldn't need it. Boy was he wrong. :rolleyes:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that pipe plug is a beyotch but for a guy with your skill level its gonna be an easy fix, relatively speaking. I ised some 4 way pipe plug tool from ace.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I might just T off the oil feed line to the turbo.
or take out the old oil sending unit.

4way pipe plug tool? I always just inverted a socket :) ie use the drive end of a socket, couple the two sockets and rachet away.

If I recall doing the turbo, the plug came out easy... stuffs well oiled in that area:)