Oil pan removal

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve read multiple ideas and thoughts on this subject but really need some advice from someone who has done this job. My 97 F250 HD is leaking from the dipstick flange on the side of the oil pan. There is also some rust spots that I want to take a look at, may need to replace pan. I am wondering if it’s possible to get this out with the motor in the truck? I do not want to cut the cross member, that’s not an option.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do it "right" the engine needs to be pulled and inverted for the sealant to bond properly. I've heard of success stories with cleaning the rust and coating the entire pan with POR-15. Also just because the dipstick flange is leaking doesn't mean the entire pan is bad, just replace the assembly and motor on.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do it "right" the engine needs to be pulled and inverted for the sealant to bond properly. I've heard of success stories with cleaning the rust and coating the entire pan with POR-15. Also just because the dipstick flange is leaking doesn't mean the entire pan is bad, just replace the assembly and motor on.
I cant replace it without removing the pan.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The male part of the flange goes on the inside of the pan and through the hole where you then screw the female “nut” on to the male threads from the outside.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The male part of the flange goes on the inside of the pan and through the hole where you then screw the female “nut” on to the male threads from the outside.

yes...just don't drop it into the pan or you might have to go fishing

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s why I want to get the pan all the way out

Then you will have to pull the engine out of the truck. It’s not that big of a job after you’ve done a few.

I’d suggest trying to seal it in the truck first. If it falls then pull the engine or cut a hole in the pan to get it out.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you will have to pull the engine out of the truck. It’s not that big of a job after you’ve done a few.

I’d suggest trying to seal it in the truck first. If it falls then pull the engine or cut a hole in the pan to get it out.
Ok, thanks

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You betcha (insert former Midwest accent)

Now you’ve got to document how you fixed it, you have two choices:

A) Welding wire, odd tools and the nerves of a surgeon :cool:

B) Spend the coin on the cool billet piece that’s supposedly the cat’s pajamas :sly

We’ll be watching for updates!

:popcorn

Last edited:

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You betcha (insert firmer Midwest accent)

Now you’ve got to document how you fixed it, you have two choices:

A) Welding wire, odd tools and the nerves of a surgeon :cool:

B) Spend the coin on the cool billet piece that’s supposedly the cat’s pajamas :sly

We’ll be watching for updates!

:popcorn
I’ll be updating soon.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see sooo many trucks with cut out cross members to change the oil pan. surely not how i do it.

mike_hurd2000

Reaction score
I’ll be updating soon.
If the inner pice is damaged there is a adapter pice you can buy from strictly Diesel to fix the leak with out removing the oil pan or you can buy a repair kit from dieselrings.com here a pick o the adapter.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk