Base of dipstick tube fell into oil pan - help?

yoslick

Reaction score
Very nice!! :) are you going to coat the outside now with epoxy or something to prevent rot like most of our pans have???

Slick

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice work, looks like an excellent fix. The fact that you put the used oil in the fuel tank of your IDI puts your fix over the top. Even the tough scoring Russian judges have to give you a good score on that one ;Sweet.

Taz47

Reaction score
All, I was able to use bale wire through the dipstick tube hole of the adapter going through the drain plug hole. I put a loop in the wire to retain the adapter and then snaked the other end through the side of the pan and pulled it back up in place. I drug out the oring through the drain plug hole after adapter install. If the adapter needs replaced the pan can be dropped and are able to get it out with starter removed. Much easier than cutting or pulling engine. 20 minutes back in business.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Theres also a replacement kit that doesn't involve dropping the pan.
Just expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
I’m looking to try and reseal mine tolday on an ‘03 PSD. Hoping I can clean it all and put RTV as the sealant. Do y’all think that’ll seal it or should I get the o-ring. I’m hoping that leaving the dip stick tube on will hold everything in place and the RTV will seal it so I don’t have to worry about dropping the inner part in the pan.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
Well, so far so good. Did the RTV just like I planned above. Soaked the side of the pan with engine degreaser, removed the nut, sprayed a whole can of break parts cleaner on the area with the nut out of the way and on the nut. Let it air dry completely and put a small bead of RTV all the way around. Not too much, and snugged up the nut. Finished last Saturday noon and let it sit til Sunday around 3 in the afternoon . Still dry as a bone on Thursday!

You must be registered for see images attach

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Don't know if I'm good or lucky..........my first encounter with this years ago I was able to retrieve the adaptor from sitting on the windage tray TWICE and still get it back together. I used a good mirror and a small bright flashlight. Wire with a hook on the end.

I like to use a nice soft Caterpillar yellow silicone o-ring. Wish I wrote the part # down somewhere.

After I got it all back together it still leaked after a high RPM run. Turns out there was a groove worn in the adaptor where the oring for the dipstick tube was supposed to sit. Used Right Stuff silicone instead of an Oring, no leaks for many years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online