Oil pan plug leaking

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I changed my oil and moved on like normal no big deal and keep on driving the truck and saw a blotch of oil the other day under the truck after I got home from work. Just a few drops really but never did it before. Started it and watched and didn't see any drops after five minutes and just blew it off for the time being. Drove it today and got out and looked when I got home and I saw it drip from the plug in the oil pan. I didn't believe it so I sprayed everything off with some gunk and cleaned the bottom of everything and even went so far as to put white tape around the bottom of the oil pan to see if it's coming from above. Went for a ride and came back and saw two drips fall from the plug after shutting down and looked at the tape and it's definitely coming from the plug.. Not much it's not like more then 4-5 drops after I shut down and it doesn't leak when it's running. Almost like the oil isn't all pushing down on the plug so it's fine then but the moment it all seeps down it can pressure out a couple.

I didn't feel like I cross threaded it, and it seems tight but I "could" tighten it more with a big wrench. I thought about trying some of that Teflon tape on it or something. It looked like a weird plug the first time I changed it but it never did this before. Barely any thread from what I'm used to on other vehicles I've changed with a tiny washer on it that isn't "flat" and a little magnet on the end to collect metal shavings (glad to see I had none last change)..

Considering I just changed the oil I really don't wanna take it out and investigate but I'm just trying to get ideas for what it may be. The ups truck that comes to my work leaks way worse daily but I still wanna fix it naturally.

I'm thinking just order a new one but if the thing that is jammed in there isn't even right I'm hoping the threads aren't jacked up. I don't even know if Teflon tape would help. Maybe find some threaded thing with a twist valve to change it like I put on the tractor.

I think I'm gonna tighten it to the "almost not safe" level and see if it still leaks. Maybe I just strong armed it last time. Being a lefty sometimes I don't remember if I used the "right" arm or the right arm because it's easier with the tools or where things are. But I can't see this needing to be crazy tight to not drip.

*edit*

Just did some more searching on here and read about the gasket that is supposed to be on the plug. I'll bet mine now sucks and is the issue. It almost reminded me of a lock washer and not a gasket and I think it was warped or split but I figured it was normal as it looked like that the last time. Hmm. Might just be time to see how fast it leaks and see if it can just drip for 3800 more miles until it's time to change it again. Maybe just one more tighten though lol

Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Mine used to leak cause there was a plastic ring, almost like a washer, that was cracked... My local autoparts store had something similar and now it stays 100% dry, I would just watch it till your next oil change and when you take it out next inspect the threads on the plug and the pan. If the threads look good, just go to an autoparts store and ask for a drain plug seal, they are pretty universal. I think you and I have the same drain plug.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 94 try the plastic drain plug washer and if still doesn't seal get a copper washer.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the plastic washers. They work great if you change them every other time. No leaks & you don't have to wrench on the bolt to keep it from leaking.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's worth a shot.
When you go to replace it: remove the oil fill cap and place a shop vac in the hole. Tape it so it seals up. May have to block the CDR also. Turn vacuum on before remove drain plug.

I've done this with cooling systems and not spilled a drop. I've pulled my block drains, block heater (psd), and something else I can't remember.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well I think the dog could figure out what's wrong here. That drain plug has no threads. Hopefully advanced or somewhere has one today cause I really wanted to drive the truck later tonight and tomorrow and my fresh oil is hanging out in a five gallon bucket.

Guess I should just go get a replacement and a new gasket and see if it fits tight.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna see if I can find one today, it doesn't wanna thread in much at all anymore gasket or not unfortunately. Hopefully advanced or autozone has one in stock with a gasket

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
there's a "Dorman Help!" replacement, make sure you get the shorter of the 2 that fit (1/2" IIRC) or it'll hit the pickup tube, found that out when I did my oil pump and had to replace the plug for the same reason

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean half inch thread width shorter length correct? My plug was 3/4" head socket to get it out. Not enough coffee yet today it seems. I'll just bring the thing with me haha.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The replacement plug can't bee too tall or it will contact the oil pump pickup screen. Stick a screwdriver up the oil pan drain hole to see what I posted. Mot auto parts stores will sell oversize drain plugs that actually cut new threads in the oil pan. I'm not telling you thats what you need but it is available just the same. I too have had this type of leak because the plastic washer seal was cracked. So I change the gasket every oil change just to be sure. Usually the drain plug is a softer metal material so the pan threads are not ruined. Its easier to replace the plug than cut new threads in the pan or replace the pan. BTW you must remove the engine to replace the pan... Not a fun job because someone over tightened the plug and stripped the threads trying to stop a gasket leak... Been there too.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thankfully it looks like the threads are just worn off the plug. Hopefully I can just get a new one that's the original size and call it a day while we're out running errands. If not we'll just go from there. The original seems to thread on without the washer but I didn't wanna risk tightening it with the wear and risk cross threading it and damaging the pan, which when I wiped off the threads appeared fine like you said. Shouldn't be an issue I don't think.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

1/2 20, and I put some create a gasket crap on it for kicks, but much like another thread I read on here the part system had some 14-1.25 or something of that nature in the system but thankfully we went to an 89 in the system and it had the correct size. Same height, more thread but a flat magnet so it's not gonna protrude up anymore. Now to watch a period of the pens hockey game as I decide the best mess free way to get all that oil back in the rig that doesn't involve the harbor freight transmission fluid pump that can't suck the thick oil up at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726