Oil line

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has a turbo it will have one. I am not sure if it goes to the back center where the oil pressure sender goes or if it went to one of the ports on either side in the rear.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. You can tap into oil pressure at the sending unit fitting or at any of the blocked ports

Jkelley

Reaction score
Do they have an after market oil cooler for this Trk or do I have to stay with the Oem oil cooler

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to keep the factory oil cooler but you can add an additional one if you feel you need it

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the oil cooler leaking, for one?
Make sure it's not dripping down from the valve cover gasket.

If it is the oil cooler, it's not as bad as it could be - turns out, all you need to do to remove it is get the steering shaft out of the way. There's one bolt where it connects to the steering box - remove that, push up on the shaft and the bottom end should come free. Tie it up and out of the way.

It should be able to be removed now, though you might need or want to remove more stuff(like the PS pump) for clearance.
Getting the cooler apart might be a challenge - once it's apart, it's not a big deal to clean everything and reinstall new O-rings.

Putting it back together should be done with a ratchet-strap; just wrap it around the whole thing and keep putting tension on it until it goes back together.

Also, remember, an IDI has no "high pressure" oil anything. It's all "low pressure"(<50 psi).

SlippyRider

Reaction score
Are you sure it's the oil cooler leaking, for one?
Make sure it's not dripping down from the valve cover gasket.

If it is the oil cooler, it's not as bad as it could be - turns out, all you need to do to remove it is get the steering shaft out of the way. There's one bolt where it connects to the steering box - remove that, push up on the shaft and the bottom end should come free. Tie it up and out of the way.

It should be able to be removed now, though you might need or want to remove more stuff(like the PS pump) for clearance.
Getting the cooler apart might be a challenge - once it's apart, it's not a big deal to clean everything and reinstall new O-rings.

Putting it back together should be done with a ratchet-strap; just wrap it around the whole thing and keep putting tension on it until it goes back together.

Also, remember, an IDI has no "high pressure" oil anything. It's all "low pressure"(<50 psi).

That's an awesome reply.
You da man.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I thought it was a pain both times I did it. The first time was when the gasket to the block was leaking. About 5 years later one of the o-rings started leaking.

This has to be the messiest dirtiest job I have ever done on a vehicle. You need to drain the block as good as you can with the block drains. That means coolant everywhere, not many people have the nice petocks on their blocks to hook a hose to.

I then took a saw and made a cut in my inner fender after I took the driver's side tire off. So I could get a long extension in there to get the bolts loose.

Once you get it loose, even though you try your best, oil and coolant still go everywhere making a huge mess.

I think both times I did it, I took the long bolt out of the driver's side motor mount, and jacked the engine up just a tad and worked it out of there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online