Oil level

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Say I overfilled my oil.

Say after that the engine starting running like crap.

Say I drained and refilled my oil to the proper level and it was back to running well.

Where did the oil get into the combustion chamber?

Cdr? Intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you fill your oil too much it will touch the crank shaft and cause the truck to run like crap. That would make sense to me

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please tell us how much oil you added when you changed the oil. I use the Motorcraft 1995 powerstroke oil filter and use 1 quart less than 3 gallons.. A "normal" oil change takes 10 quarts with the idi small filter that came on our engines. We have since found the 1995 filter has one more quart capacity but best of all its a finer filter media. Remember those powerstroke engines run the common rail fuel injection and need cleaner oil.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the ctank got into it. Thats why race cars have a windage tray and crank scrapers. Oil hitting the crank makes a difference.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Gary, it's HEUI.
Common rail is different, they don't need as clean of oil, because their injectors are ran by a Bosch cp3 type pump.

NTOLERANCE, describe running like crap.
You can also get a runaway from over filled oil.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Deutz866

Reaction score
Most of our trucks from various fleets send some oil out the crankcase breather if its really overfilled, and you can hear that for sure. The crank sloshing around in the oil will also make it sound like hammered dog crap. Worst case senario you'll have high crank case pressure and an oily mess, shouldn't harm anything

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
2 quarts over filled - guessing
I had to change the oil filter because the one I had on there started to leak from the seal. It was sort of aN emergency as I was at work ( I drive a lot for work)
Store near me only had a power stroke filter bought a gallon of oil and filter as I only had 1500 miles on the oil. Changed the filter and absentmindedly poured all four quarts in from the gallon jug.

I was in a dress shirt and tie doing this so please cut me a big of slack. Running late to an appointment as well didn't help.

Yesterday changed the oil completely and it's back to normal. I had low power and the engine sounded funny.

Typically I run 12 qts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk