Oil in valley pan

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the intake manifold gasket part of the valley pan plate? I want to change all the gaskets on top of engine, gear housing(just silicone), intakes and valley pan when doing my turbo as I no longer wish to have oil flying everywhere under the hood lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just to be safe, you could punch (not drill) a hole in the baffle straight underneath where the oil drains back. After I replaced an engine and had an oil leak there, I always have done this on engines with a turbo. If you drill the hole, you stand a good chance of having shavings get into the engine. I just use a punch on the end of an air hammer.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I know the intake manifold is part of the valley pan, I noticed before that a couple bolts where loose on the manifold I'll check them all and tighten a slight bit to maybe slow the leak for now till next month turbo instal

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What all can leak oil into valley pan?

Lots of things. Mine keeps finding new ways to leak oil. And mine is a van which makes it much harder to see it happen.

But that is the only way to find it. Clean the engine, and then make it leak while you are watching. Otherwise you are just throwing time and parts at it hoping something makes it stop.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the problem is only decides to leak sometimes and when it does it goes everywhere and only when driving. I've cleaned it before a couple times in hoping to find the leak but no luck so far

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the problem is only decides to leak sometimes and when it does it goes everywhere and only when driving. I've cleaned it before a couple times in hoping to find the leak but no luck so far

Try stuffing the valley with paper towels after cleaning the area. That will contain the oil near the leak point. Drive and check often.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I re sealed under my iP gear, it appears to be were the oil was coming from or at least one of the spots anyway, took it off after marking gear and runnning extra long bolt into housing to hold gear gently cleaned it all assuming it's from 1988 because that silicon did not want to come off, put back on with the "right stuff" it runs with no leaks so we will see after a drive this evening! That gear housing removal was way easier than I though, with that bolt in there it didn't worry me in the least if it was gonna move around on me

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well drove it no leaks from gear housing but valley pan filled back up I think it's coming from the valley pan grommet area and now thinking of it I don't believe I put a extra hole or two in the valley drain inside the old CD-R hole could this be causing a back up into the pan? Trying to fix this leak before I instal new turbo kit next weekend from typ4. Its odd though this didn't used to happen as bad before?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. It could cause the oil back up you're talking about. Assuming that you cleaned the valley pan to the best of your abilities, where exactly is the oil at in the pan? If it's just around the CDR hole/ turbo drain back, then that's probably a back up.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned as far back as I can but I have the 088 so it sits directly over CD-R hole and it seems to be coming from there, inlet and drain connected to turbo are dry, CD-R doesn't leak so theoretically it seems to be the only place other than rear section of valley pan itself. So when installing new turbo kit I'll punch a couple holes in it and hoping that's going to solve it clean everything while doing so and inspect for cracks in the corners of that pan

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've installed literally dozens of these engines. I would guess that 10%-15% had turbos. I've only seen the oil backup issue once. Of course after solving the problem the first time, I punched a hole in every valley pan that was for a turbo application. It only took once for me to learn. And on the plus side, you'll have more room to clean and inspect when you're installing your new turbo.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a sensor back there ? No leaks from turbo housing connection in and out oil points they are dry, it's got to be lower

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's an oil pressure sensor on the top of the 093 setup and a block for the oil feed line. I forgot which turbo setup you had.