oil cooler

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have some part numbers for what I need to rebuild my oil cooler?

I dont know if my 86 uses the 6 rings or the 4 and I dont have the truck near me to check.

I would like to go ahead and rebuild it while we have the heads off, cause you know Murphys law!

Thanks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your engine (or oil cooler) got swapped at some point, you should have a 4-ring cooler. The 6 ring cooler was one of those things that was only used on the '83 and early '84 engines.

Don't have part numbers handy, unfortunately :( if you haven't gotten an answer by the time I get home from work, I'll dig through my receipts :)

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your engine (or oil cooler) got swapped at some point, you should have a 4-ring cooler. The 6 ring cooler was one of those things that was only used on the '83 and early '84 engines.

Don't have part numbers handy, unfortunately :( if you haven't gotten an answer by the time I get home from work, I'll dig through my receipts :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. No, my engine has never been changed, so it should be the later style, I hope.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my 86 had the 4 ring cooler and the rings were so hard they cracked when pulled apart. You'll be needing 1 green ring and one purple one for each side. Get the gaskets at Advance or Autozone as the dealer will ream you on these. Also be very sure to get all the oil and old gasket off the mating surfaces, I mean like so you could eat off of them. Otherwise it's going to leak and you'll be really unhappy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These are the gaskets needed from Ford... The front header is E3TZ-6A636-H and the rear header is E3TZ-6A636-G.. I only found the international part numbers for the o-rings... Thethick o-ring is 1804414C1 and the thin o-ring is 1807563C1. Someone will come along with the Ford o-ring numbers....

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Thick O-ring (teal colored) 1C3Z*6C10*BA List $5.82 Net $4.82 2 -Req'd
Ford Thin (dark purple colored) 1C3Z*6K649*BA List $13.81 Net 10.63 2 -Req'd
Don't trust the manual. Don't Trust the manual. And Don't trust the manual. Put both O-rings on the bundle with grease ( vaseline works good ) and press the end caps on one at a time, square and slow.
ICANFIXALL - I Thought the G was the front and the H was the rear. No matter. It takes two.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't trust the manual. Don't Trust the manual. And Don't trust the manual. Put both O-rings on the bundle with grease ( vaseline works good ) and press the end caps on one at a time, square and slow.
FWIW, I think the manual screwed it up because someone forgot to update the instructions after IH switched from the 6 ring to the 4 ring cooler. In the 6 ring cooler, the four smaller O-rings DO need to go into the headers...but, certainly, in the 4 ring cooler, all 4 rings need to go on the bundle...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the 4 (two big green and two small black) and the header gaskets from Ford for $43.77 just a few weeks ago.

Heath

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
International does have the o-rings and they are cheaper than Ford, but they don't have the cooler-to-engine gaskets. That is a Ford-specific part.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the header gaskets they are not a Ford specific part but not available at IH because the IH spec oil coolers mounted up differently. You can get them at any parts store or the dealer, not NAPA for some reason though.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I maybe should have choosen different words. You're right, I meant Ford specific parts, meaning that International doesn't sell Ford parts. Kinda weird, International manufactured the engine, has the o-rings, but not the gasket that goes between the header and block. A lot of the accessory stuff International doesn't have, I guess because it was Ford designed?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Fel-Pro gasket set # is ES70689, three gaskets only. Two to use, one to toss. No O-rings. Heath , you paid list for the o-rings. I got mine 3/17/10 for the posted prices. Yeah, I suck up to the Dealer Parts guy.... you know, flowers, candy always a smile and a kind word like..." Gee, your hair looks Good" What's my price on o-rings?...

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help and part #'s. I'm going to call ford today and see what they have.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys.

I got all the stuff for the oil cooler from Ford for $43.00 Hopefully the right parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger