Oil cooler R&R

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
The oil cooler leak on the 00 PSD has finally gotten to the point where it annoys me enough to fix it.

how big of a pain in the ass is this to fix. I have removed resealed and reinstalled the one it my 94idi. do I have to jack up the engine in an 00 2x4 auto PSD dualie?

I will have to make a fixture for pressing the cooler back together, and plates to pressure test the unit once reassembled. Is it still best to use petroleum jelly to lube the O-ring before pressing the whole unit back together.

I usually lightly coat both sides of the header gasket with red RTV.

Anything else going to be a pain in my rear?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I just did mine and the PSD's are a little tougher to do than the IDI's because of the way the front header connects to the engine front cover.

My couple pennies {FWIW} would be to remove the lower neck on the water pump for easier sccess to the front header bolts.

Not sure if the I/C tube interferes......

No need for a "press" to re-assemble nor making a jig to PSI test---unless you have oil in coolant---- but just for an external leak personally I don't see the need.

For lubing the seals, use some plumbers grease instead of vaseline-----vaseline has been known to crystalize at high temps.

regarding the header gaskets...the PSD uses better gaskts than you recall from the IDI's....perimiter sealed on both sides and very rigid ;Sweet so the need for slobbering on some RVT sealant and having that crap ooze thru the eng is quite unnesc ;Sweet

powerstroke shop has a complete re-seal kit for 1/2 what you will pay elseware ...AND you will support one of our sponsors ;Sweet ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online