oil cooler help

fordhorse

Reaction score
I have been working on removing my oil cooler for three days. I have the drivers side motor mount unbolted and the oil cooler off but i cannot get it out. I have the engine jacked up as high as i can and still don't have room what should i do?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Install the front header, then pry off the bundle and rear header as one piece... I'm not sure whats in the way of removing the unit as one piece. Did you remove the rubber motor mount and the pad that bolts to the engine block. Look and see if the fan is touching the fan shroud.. If it is remove the 4 bolts holding that to the core support and you probably will have more lift room.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Remove the steering shaft with the drivers side of the engine lifted up about 3" and it should roll right out.

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is easy,

I have been working on removing my oil cooler for three days. I have the drivers side motor mount unbolted and the oil cooler off but i cannot get it out. I have the engine jacked up as high as i can and still don't have room what should i do?

I had no problem taking mine out, but my truck is lifted. That should not make a difference. What some people do is install one bolt to the front housing and pull the cooler out with the rear housing. Be sure to mark where the housing go because once you press the housings to the cooler it is hard to rotate the housings on the cooler. There is a guide to help on one end. The problem I had was getting the front gasket installed without messing it up, you will see.

I think mine came out the front, it has been awhile. It was not easy and be sure to hide the big hammers.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I removed my steering shaft and pushed it aside. I had no problem (aside from the mess :puke:) getting the cooler assembly out without unbolting motor mounts and/or lifting the engine.

Give that a shot I'll bet it will help a lot ;Sweet Btw I pulled it out from underneath towards the back of the engine if that makes sense. Truck is stock 4wd. Hope this helps. Get a mirror and a flashlight to make certain the sealing surfaces are spotless. I missed a small sliver of gasket and had to do it all over again.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
It is possible to replace the gaskets between the oil cooler and the block without totally removing the oil cooler I have done it a few times, but have never removed the oil cooler with out first pulling the engine to do other engine repair work

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I found it useful to have the gf on a step ladder to guide me from up top while i was under the truck. I took it out rear header first, it looked to me like taking it out front first would be impossible. I just jacked up the engine never removed steering shaft(b/c I didnt know how lol). But with the shaft removed and the engine lifted I would imagine itd be easier to 'jiggle' the cooler out.

fordhorse

Reaction score
I got it off the other day and didn't have to unbolt the steering shaft. I ended up unbolting the fan shroud and was able to jack it up just enough to slip it out the back in one piece. I use assembly lube on the o rings and a large bar clamp to press it back together, one side at a time then painted it before install so it will be easier to see any leaks. I reinstalled it yesterday and filled the truck with fleet charge and so far its good no fluids swapping and no leaks. Thank you all for the help.