Oil Cool Question

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing some brainstorming, and was wondering how efficient is the stock oil cooler? Would it be possible to use the actual radiator like GM does? Especially if you have a manual trans, you could use an automatic radiator and use the trans cooler portion as an engine oil cooler. Would this cool the oil better? Just something to think about.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The trans cooler in the bottom of the radiater will not pass enough oil volume. You could use a pad oil cooler that looks like an aux trans cooler inline with the stock oil cooler but why do you think this is needed? The oil temp usually only runs about 20 degrees above the coolant temp. I have an oil temp gage for the engine oil so I can keep an eye on it. Its never that hot.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
You don't want your oil too cold. You want it to get up to about 235-250 degrees to evaporate the condensation that occurs inside the engine.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking of some other ways to cool the oil other than using the stock cooler. One that would be easier to replace or fix if needed, and/or not leak as much.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Find a Jaguar V-12 oil cooler. They will handle the volume easily. They are air cooled and are about 30 inches long by about 6 inches wide. The tube diameter is about 1 inch.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Find a Jaguar V-12 oil cooler. They will handle the volume easily. They are air cooled and are about 30 inches long by about 6 inches wide. The tube diameter is about 1 inch.

LOL A Jag V-12 oil cooler. I dont know about you but I dont think the average wrecking yard around here will have one of those :D

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Okay, so you add an auxilliary oil cooler. What do you do about the factory unit?
You can't just block it off, can you?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Okay, so you add an auxilliary oil cooler. What do you do about the factory unit?
You can't just block it off, can you?

you'd also have to do something about the oil filter, as it is mounted to one end of the oil cooler.

i think i liquid/liquid cooler is more efficient than an air/liquid intercooler but i could be wrong. the stock cooler does a lot of cooling for its size though.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm in process of adding on a secondary cooler for Goldie. Gonna utilize an Amsoil dual bypass oil filtration system(Thanks Darrin) to tie in the second cooler.
For some reason, Goldie likes running around 215-220 degrees on the water temp side.
Gonna see if the secondary oil cooler helps abit when pulling the trailer this year.