Oil consumption

Kahunias-J-puppy

Reaction score
I have a 1994 f250 7.3 Turbo IDI with 114.000 miles. Truck starts & runs excellent. I am noticing that it goes through about a quart of oil every. 1500-2 thousand miles. Is this normal? After the initial start in the morning, I do not see any excessive oil at all whatsoever when on town roads or the highway and gas mpg is right about 16.5- home...this oil consumption seems a bit excessive to me. Keep in mind I'm in New England where it is pretty cold and this truck does a good amount of idling...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. you oil usage and mileage are normal. Nothing to worry bout.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gas mpg is right about 16.5- home...this oil consumption seems a bit excessive to me.

There's your problem... our IDI's are supposed to run on diesel, not gas
;Poke

That is normal oil consumption. I think the manual says anything less than 1 qt in 750 miles is considered normal? Anyway my truck probably leaks more than it burns!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rotella oil?

If it is, you could switch to Delo and it will drink less, it’s well documented that Rotella ends up “using” more, which isn’t terrible as long as you keep up with you like change intervals.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth, my '94 IDI N/A van has about 265K miles on it, ( unknown history, bought it off Craigslist two years ago ), and its down about a quart between changes, which are around 3-4K miles. When I got it, it had a leaky fuel pump, which I subsequently replaced with a Carter electric fuel pump, so I know I am not getting diesel into the oil via a leaky fuel pump diaphragm. Everything I have read on all the forums I have visited tell me that oil consumption that you indicate is completely normal. ( I was concerned about the very same thing... )

When getting this van, I specifically wanted the old IDI. The stuff I was reading off the forums seemed to say that was the most resilient engine Ford/International Harvester ever made, just as long as I kept the correct coolant in it to keep cavitation at bay. So, it gets Chevron DELO ELC. The red stuff. So far, so good.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Rotella oil?

If it is, you could switch to Delo and it will drink less, it’s well documented that Rotella ends up “using” more, which isn’t terrible as long as you keep up with you like change intervals.

Just throwing this out there, when i switched from rotella to delo, my truck started burning more oil. Still not enough for me to care about, i can almost make it through an oil change without adding any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle