Oil consumption with new Rotella

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is Delo a name brand, or is it short for something? I haven't seen a brand with that name on it around here.

I think Autozone might carry it, as well as truck stops that usually carry all the brands of diesel oil since everyone had their' preference.

Remember the big trucks have huge crankcases and bypass filtration, so they go tens of thousands of miles between oil changes.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance Auto parts has all these oils, all around $9-10 per gallon. I was tempted to try something else last time.... couldn't bring myself to do it, so I guess for the next two oil changes it will be rotella T, beyond that who knows. Most 6.9s have some leaks, some blowby, all oil is going to be consumed to a degree, the question is how much? Each oil seems to find these escape routes a little differently. I think any oil is really ok for a 6.9 as long as its diesel rated and proper viscoscity for teh climate...the worst thing about oil consumption is the risk of running it out of oil... Now for turbo engines... I don't know. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa has a lot of good oil the only thing is that they tend to be a couple bucks more than advance on their oil.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to lose oil on my 99 psd w/ rotella. The loss stopped after switching to New Holland that we bought for our tractors. . . I never thought about the oil being the cause of the low level.

While this thread is open, what weight is everyone running and how often do you change? I always went 5K w/ 15w40 in my powerstroke, but the IDI manual said something about sae30.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep napa has it, and Yes napa cost more most times but I think their attendants also know a bit more about cars/trucks than the regular AA or autozone.

I used rotella for some time but did not like it so went back to Motorcraft.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to lose oil on my 99 psd w/ rotella. The loss stopped after switching to New Holland that we bought for our tractors. . . I never thought about the oil being the cause of the low level.

While this thread is open, what weight is everyone running and how often do you change? I always went 5K w/ 15w40 in my powerstroke, but the IDI manual said something about sae30.

I tried straight 30W ONCE, it put my hot oil pressure into the toilet and I drained it out well before the change interval.

The traditional reason to use 30w was that it lacked the viscosity improvers that would tend to break down when used in a diesel. However this is old wisdom that does not apply to today's much improved oils.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used SAE 30 rotella for a bit, oil consumption was about the same as with 15W40, it was a little harder to start with the 30wt and the hot oil pressure was a bit lower, cold oil pressure was higher. had high lead in an oil sample so I thought I would see if the SAE30 would get it down, the lead was still high but came down...who knows if it had anything to do with the SAE30 or not. About NAPA, yes they have more knowledgeable, and probably better paid employees especially at the manager and asst. manager level, even the paens seem to know something. I shop around, I buy my oil at Advance, and filters from fleetfilter.com but I don't mind giving Napa my business, I just refuse to pay much more money for the same product. Compare prices on our filters between fleetfilter and NAPA or carquest sometime. Its a shocker.

mechanoman

unruly dually
Reaction score
RE question about DELO - it is made by Chevron, and it got its name DELO from Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil. I did some lab time while working for various oil companies, Rotella T is pretty good stuff, I like DELO better, but if you can get your hands on some DA-Lubricant STDO (comes in the purple can) it is top notch. You can't buy it anywhere but directly from D-A Lubricant Co. in Indianapolis.

1985 F350 dually plain cab 4x2 6.9L with ZF-5

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Rotella 15/40 in mine . Have no oil consumption. Had a leaky drain plug also. Added a new washer and it still leaked. Backed the plug out about two turns and wrapped teflon tape between washer and head of plug. No more leak.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have spoke to some large oil distributors (for work) about the new CJ classified oils. These are to be used in the newer emmisions engines only, from what I have been told by 2 different distributors. They both agreed that if someone does not have to run CJ oil's, then don't do it. Something about lowered ash-blah, blah, blah, I didn't speak their language. But, they said to run the CH oils unless your running brand new cummins, dmax, or 6.4 strokers. Just passing this info along.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used nothing but Rotella in my big trucks when I was driving over the road. I was running Rotella in my IDI and 7.3 PSD with no problems.

I switched to Rotella 5w-40 synthetic when I had my 7.3 psd and noticed much better cold weather starting and the oil still looked new after 3000 miles running synthetic media oil filters and have extended my oil changes to 15,000 miles.

I now only run 5w-40 Rotella synthetic and synthetic media filters.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've run Rotella 15-40 for years. When I tried Delo 15-40 it drank 2 quarts in less than 1000 miles.
So now I'm back with Rotella. I use 1-1/2 quarts in 5K miles. Most outta the RDT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor