Oil consumption with new Rotella

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like what he's saying is that the main difference lies in the additive package and the base oil stocks, which makes a heck of a lot of sense. I wonder how compatible the various big oil additive poackages are now? I still don't like to mix oils. If I want to put something else in, I drain the pain completely. Of course there is always going to be some residual(at least we hope so!) on the internal parts, so if there truly are incompatible additive packages still running around out there it may be something to worry about. I have used Rotella in my truck except for two oil changes since I've had it. I once used the store brand 15/40 from carquest cause I thought I had contaminated the oil with fuel, and once I used Pennzoil's 15/40 longlife cause I wanted to see if the "long life" molydbenum and other additives would reduce oil consumption. The Pennzoil had OK wear numbers but burned off even faster than the rotella once it had some mileage on it. The Carquest stuff had more blowby right out of the bottle than the rotella anyway. People seem to like Mobil 1 Delo or Rotella, and they are all definitely very good. Most anything that's diesel rated is probably good enough, but for now I think I'm sticking with Rotella.