Official Bell Radiator Group Buy

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budget. I sure can’t afford that, I explained to him that was in the outfield for our market range

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid almost 400$ for the short wide in my 83 and that hurt like hell lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
What blows my mind, is ya we are getting these crap china rads that leak after a few years, but think about how much cheaper these china products are compared to a quality USA part.

Granted I know that the tool and die set up to make just a few is a lot, and quality of material is much greater but the fact that china are making hundreds of these, shipping them to the US, and still turning a profit at these rock bottom prices.

Its crazy to think.... 3 to 4 times the price to make one here vs china

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty crazy. I understand that the labor and material is much cheaper there, but makes you wonder what steps they are skipping to make those prices work, but it’s impossible to compete with those prices from over seas. The days of any American manufacturing are numbered I’m afraid

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Labor would be my guess, that and something like 99% of world wide aluminum comes from recycled aluminum vs ****** (not that there's any difference). I am going the route of buying a nylon fan. I have no issues, but these nylon fans seem to be a good way to go. I found one on eBay used from a big truck, same bolt circle and center. Tad larger at 23.45" but I may make an aluminum shroud or slightly modify one of my extra oem ones to fit. Or just trim and rebalanxr. $100. 6.68 lbs vs ours (have yet to weigh it).

I'll second, all these guys with electric fans aren't running around AZ in 115 heat. Look at their locations when they say "oh it works great". I tried the efan thing once on on another car, fine until summer hits. They just aren't there yet.

It’s pretty crazy. I understand that the labor and material is much cheaper there, but makes you wonder what steps they are skipping to make those prices work, but it’s impossible to compete with those prices from over seas. The days of any American manufacturing are numbered I’m afraid

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
after I brought him an old radiator to make measurements he said after the first one is made, a group buy of 5-10 rads would be $1100 each :eek:

Shoot, for that I could make the tanks/frames myself and have a local guy core 'em (custom 4-core costs about $500 through him) and show a profit!

No, I am NOT volunteering! LOL

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have to remember that China has very little in the way of environmental protection and worker protection - Think EPA and OSHA/MSHA. Chinese manufacturers do not need to worry about hazardous materials in manufacturing, hazardous fumes, or protecting the workers while they are working with them. Chinese manufacturers also do not have the tax burden that all businesses in this country must bear. Add in the hit or miss quality control that Chinese manufacturing is famous for, and you can begin to see why China can manufacture stuff so cheaply, even though the defective parts rate is high. "Who cares if one out off five parts is junk - we will just make more cheaply". With respect to environmental issues, there are those in this country that would be happier if no manufacturing took place here in the U.S. As we all know though, if you are going to make something though, you have to get your hands, and sometimes the place you are working, "dirty".

And, nope, I would still not buy an $1100 radiator to replace these Chinese POS's I have been getting.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I understand that the labor and material is much cheaper there, but makes you wonder what steps they are skipping to make those prices work

You are most likely talking the difference between a stamped tank and a fabricated tank.
One costs materials+$5 labor, and one costs materials+ however long it takes a guy to weld the tanks at $100/hr billable.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me started on the epa and all the obstacles that manufacturing have to work around... I’m all too familiar with it, hence my comment about manufacturing dying here. I wouldn’t spend the cash to replace my champion I don’t expect anyone in their right mind would, that’s why I killed the project

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me started on the epa and all the obstacles that manufacturing have to work around... I’m all too familiar with it, hence my comment about manufacturing dying here. I wouldn’t spend the cash to replace my champion I don’t expect anyone in their right mind would, that’s why I killed the project

I give you great credit for undertaking the effort to try and provide us IDI owners with an alternative to the cheap Chinese radiators - thanks for trying! You never know what may be possible until you investigate!

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a also a whole different perception on how to make profit between the U.S and China. China not afraid to crank out high numbers with little mark up, a lot of work but still profit. U.S. manufacturing sets the quality bar 10x over what the market needs and finds the small market that will support the high quality and much larger markup, less work for profit, less overhead. China also seems to be able to get the products from manufacturer to end user with many less steps, U.S. products seem to need to go from a manufacturer, warehouse, main distributor, second distributor ect each step marked up again. This material used to build the product already went through the distribution chain to get to the manufacturer. China sets some guy up over in the U.S. to handle distribution warehouse, and manage a ebay store and the product goes straight to the consumer.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give you great credit for undertaking the effort to try and provide us IDI owners with an alternative to the cheap Chinese radiators - thanks for trying! You never know what may be possible until you investigate!
Always happy to help keep the old iron on the road!